Water In Basement... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 72

water in basement...

Hello all, thanks for looking and reading.
Here's the problem; There was a waterproofing job done in the basement before I bought the place. Trouble is, that in doing so, they moved the sump pump and well hole into a corner of the basement, but which is not the lowest part of the floor, lol.

Therefore, one can appreciate that a whole lot of water collects on a large part of the floor when it rains, and deep. You can see where they filled in with concrete where the old sump pump used to be at the lowest point.

My engineering plan is thus.. At the lowest point in the floor, I want to.. 1) remove a disc of concrete, but not so much that it reaches below the concrete and lets in more water, ..maybe a few inches deep at the most. 2) Then insert either some kind of tiny water-activated sump pump in the hole there, or else insert there some kind of dedicated water activated relay which would activate a small air and/or water pump located nearby at the wall, with some plastic tubing that leads from the hole to the small wall pump, to suck water out of the hole and then into the main sump pump, which is several feet away.

I've found some nice small 12v air/water pumps on ebay for less than 20 bucks, but I can't find the way to activate it when water starts collecting there. Can anyone point me to 1. some water activated relays for 12v pumps, or else 2. some very small water-activated self contained air/water pumps --the flow rate doesn't have to be much.. 1 litre/minute would be plenty.

Last edited by oh'mike; 02-28-2016 at 09:01 AM. Reason: added spaces
pellikkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2016, 07:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,974

Where's the water coming in, walls, floor?
Waterproofing is always best to be done on the outside, not the inside of the basement.
Proper grading, waterproofing the outside of the foundation, no mulch or flower beds forming holding ponds, gutters with long down spout, sealing any cracks or where plumbing was run through the wall Ect.
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

You do need to address the water issue and stop the floor from flooding--

In the mean time---sure, dig another sump basin in the low spot--I'd add a full sized pit and a real sump pump---

If you find that the hole fills with water as you are digging---perforate the pit so the ground water can drain into the pit.
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #4

Hey there. Thanks for the excellent replies. The water seems to seep out of the bottom of a chimney that starts in the middle of the basement floor. There is an attempted waterproofing job around the chimney but it doesn't work. After it rains, water trickles out from around the chimney and flows to the low spot. Not a lot at once, but it keeps running for several days after rain and gradually ponds up at the low spot. A plumber said it could be coming from rain getting in the chimney, but it is not possible for the chimney opening to collect that much water. It would be overkill to put in a real sized entire sump pump at the low spot again because most of the water is directed into the existing one in the corner via some abs pipes that were installed in the waterproofing job. I think a miniature version of a sump pump at the low spot would be plenty, with coring out a shallow hole there to put in a tiny water sensing pump. Either that, or put some tubing there and some kind of moisture sensing relay that would trigger a pump mounted on the basement wall a few feet away. Right now I have a small 12 air/water pump and plastic tubing that drains the ponding into the main sump pump that has been moved to the corner. The trouble is that it is not automatic and I keep having to turn the little pump on and off depending on the amount of water flow. I have a good plan for waterproofing and landscaping in the back and side yards, but it all is too expensive for me just now. In fact that was another thread in the forum. http://www.diychatroom.com/images/smilies/vs_cool.gif
The Following User Says Thank You to pellikkan For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-28-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 07:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,252

i would like to see pics of this chimney. inside and out
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #6

you're absolutely right, some pics would be worth thousands of words. I'll get some when there's some good light down there.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 127

Anything you do in in the inside is a waste of money. Kind of like the last crew that did a waterproofing job but apparently failed miserably. Water in basements need to be fixed in the outside by some combination of footing drains, grading, waterproofing the outside of the foundation etc. even moving the output from down spouts can help a lot. But pictures from the outside including pics of your lot and how the house is situated and some inside pictures so we can see the severity of the issue.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:06 AM   #8

Thanks for the excellent replies. Today is nice and sunny, so I'll get some pics, inside and out.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 518

Sump pumps aren't supposed to be collecting water off of the floor, and it's actually a code violation in most areas. They don't want you pumping sewage onto your lawn when your sewage backs up.

You could tie a floor drain into your in floor septic lines if they are below the floor, or install a sealed sanitary crock with a floor drain tied to it, and pumped up to the sewer line.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:04 PM   #10

Old 02-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #11

well, I hate to have to change the subject, but can anyone tell me of an easy way to post pics here? I got them into Dropbox app ok, but can't get them to post. I put the web addresses for the pics into the thingy when it asked me for them. But you can see from my last post that nothing happened.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #12

Old 02-29-2016, 02:24 PM   #13
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 518

It's your thread, you can take it down any track you care to.......

The first two "sticky threads" in this link should help you figure it out pretty easily. Personally, I've always used "Irfanview" to resize w/o issue.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f98/
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:58 PM   #14

Old 02-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #15

123xyz

Last edited by pellikkan; 02-29-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
basement , problem , pump , sump , water