Washing Machine Drain/Filter UGH - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2016, 11:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Washing Machine Drain/Filter UGH

Hi, after days of having a clogged drain pipe from the washing machine AND being unable to get into both the floor drain and the wall pipe, I did manage to clear the pipe with a bunch of liquid work NOW I had decided to put on a plastic mesh lint filter (hose from washing machine goes into a PVC pipe mounted to the wall). Worked fine for THREE loads. The filter was clogged, the water draining from the machine backed up on the floor. Next, I decided to try pantyhose, thinking I could alternate the two cutoff "socks" and wash them...but on the first load with absolutely no lint in the pantyhose filter, the water backed up due to whatever (?) it can't process the water quick enough?? I am stumped. Someone put laminate floor that covers the edges of the floor drain top with the holes in it, so I can't access there to snake it out in the future. And I have carpal tunnel and can't be taking off the back pipe and snaking that all the time either. I read that lint in the septic can cause a failure over time. I need to figure out how to filter the washing machine and have a mechanism that is easy to clean and also doesn't cause back up from the speed of the water draining out. I am so frustrated, hope you guys have an idea. Days and days of this. I am here on my last resort before a plumber. Thank you
GingerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 127

What the heck are you washing that is creating that much lint? I can image a filter on the end of a hose getting blocked, but the drain pipe?
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2016, 12:19 PM   #3

Re: Washing Machine Drain/Filter UGH

The filter on the end of the hose IS getting blocked NOW. Up until yesterday I had nothing on there and that would eventually clog the drain pipe. Make sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 564

You could use some sulphuric acid for the drain pipe. Or lye. That would clear the pipe. Follow manufactures advice though. Use goggles, gloves as you don't want it on you. I wouldn't lose any sleep over lint going into the septic. Any type of filter you come up with is going to cause a lot of unnecessary maintenance
BayouRunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:44 PM   #5

Thanks I am a bit aggravated trying to take care of things and it all going sideways :/
Old 06-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 767

Not sure why the lint traps you are putting on the end clog so quick. I use the mesh ones from HD and can normally get a month or so out of one. I know that when it starts spraying out the side it is time to change. Mine dumps into laundry tub not the box in the wall though.
ct18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:01 PM   #7

The mesh one was barely filled height wise, but was clogged at the end maybe one inch up forming a cup that automatically backed up. The panty hose had nothing in there, was brand new, but it couldnt handle the water coming through it fast enough to go down the pipe and also backed up. I don't know what else to do. I guess I will have to let the lint go in the septic. There is no sink to try it that way. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement