Washer Drain Overflows - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2015, 10:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

Washer Drain Overflows

I don't remember when this started happening (we have been here 5 years) but we keep having a problem with our washer drain overflowing. We have had professionals come out with a snake 3 times, and done it ourselves a couple of times. Each time it's only a temporary solution which lasts for a while but then starts up again a few months later. The first time we realized that it was happening the water has seeped under the floor in the kitchen on the other side of the wall. Since then though it doesn't seems to be coming into the kitchen, but overflows into the garage from the furnace closet. I'm at a loss for what the problem is and how to fix it. Any ideas?
mrsdunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2015, 11:31 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 32,034

New washer? Is the drain the proper size according to the washer directions?
Some of the newer washers pump water in higher volumes than old ones and the drain can't handle the higher volumes.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
New washer? Is the drain the proper size according to the washer directions?
Some of the newer washers pump water in higher volumes than old ones and the drain can't handle the higher volumes.
You know, I wondered that too because if I am standing in the garage when the washer starts to drain I can hear it flowing fine at first, then it does seem like the water is flowing too fast and starts to back up. We did purchase the washer new in 2005, and the house was built in 1973. I have no idea about the sizing or anything. Home Depot installed it. How would we check that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 24,938

If the washer flow was the issue, then your problem going away for awhile after is snaked means the flow is not the issue.

Time to spend some bucks and have a camera sent down. For all the times you have had it snaked, you could have paid for the camera.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:07 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 32,034

If your line is 2" then you should be fine. I think that is what the new machines require, but 2005 is not new.
The coming and going of the problem could be the result of doing large or small loads and adjusting the water level?
More likely it is an issue with the drain somewhere. When they snake it do they find anything? They can usually tell is they go through anything like grease etc. that is clogging the line.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,952

I would suggest calling in someone for a main line snake/camera sounds like your rooted.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
If the washer flow was the issue, then your problem going away for awhile after is snaked means the flow is not the issue.

Time to spend some bucks and have a camera sent down. For all the times you have had it snaked, you could have paid for the camera.
I had no idea such a thing existed hahaha. I came here because I know nothing of this sort of thing. So who would I call to have that done? We've called Mr.Rooter in the past.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
If your line is 2" then you should be fine. I think that is what the new machines require, but 2005 is not new.
The coming and going of the problem could be the result of doing large or small loads and adjusting the water level?
More likely it is an issue with the drain somewhere. When they snake it do they find anything? They can usually tell is they go through anything like grease etc. that is clogging the line.
Whoops, I meant 2010, if that makes any difference. I don't know what size the line is. Is that just measuring the pipe that the drain hose goes into? There is definitely a difference with the load size. Small loads barely overflow if at all, extra large loads drain all the way out of the garage. The one time that they found something in the main line, they said it was baby wipes, which although we have small children and do use them, it's really unlikely that they were in the toilet. Also, that time we weren't having issues with the washer, but the toilets overflowed and the bathtubs backed up.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:13 AM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 24,938

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdunlap View Post
I had no idea such a thing existed hahaha. I came here because I know nothing of this sort of thing. So who would I call to have that done? We've called Mr.Rooter in the past.
Mr.Rooter....the McDonalds of plumbers.

You want a real plumber. Pick up the phone and call. A good plumber with the right equipment will tell you the price and when done give you a DVD with the images he captured. And the good plumbers will invite you to sit and watch while they do it. You get a play by play of what is going on. Why? Because they know what they are doing and are not trying to BS you.

Also understand you are looking at $200-300 for this. The equipment is not cheap. But, as they say, pictures are worth thousands.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
Plumber

Rewards Points: 302

Since you've had back up issues with the toilet and tubs I'm with Ghost and suspect your main building drain or sewer line, not the washer line.
The real problem may actually be outside of the house- such as roots. A good plumber with a camera should show this.
BTW, I'm surprised Mr. Rooter didn't camera. I thought it was included in their price
Old 10-30-2015, 05:55 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,952

I wouldn't use a rooter company to plumb a dog house. Just personal opinion of work I had to fix that they raped the homeowner for. Call a local non rooter plumber.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
drain , leak , overflow , washer