Vintage Concrete Double Bowl Laundry Sink - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 964

Vintage Concrete double bowl laundry sink

I live in an old neighborhood and recently one of my neighbors posted that they were doing some remodel/plumbing work in their basement and wanted to know if anyone was interested in their Concrete Double Bowl Laundry Sink. Being the fool, that I'm starting to think I am, I went and looked and said an emphatic yes and agreed to get take it. Originally, I was going to have to pull it from basement, but apparently, the plumbers did that and sat it out back, well last night I rounded up a couple of suckers and we went and grabbed it. Now it's sitting on my trailer and I'm realizing that not only is this thing pretty darn heavy, which I did know, but it's pretty big. I'm starting to second guess my logic....

That said, I'm still debating if I'll actually clean it up and use it for it's intended purpose or if I'll do something different. My main concern is that it is very heavy. It's actually fairly clean, though the stand needs cleaned up and repainted, but it does have a crack on one side. I think it does go through, not sure if it leaks or not, so in order to preserve it I'll have to contend with that. My thoughts there are some hydraulic cement or even a slurry of countertop mix and work it into the crack then seal everything. That's likely a question for the concrete guys.

My main question here is, how are these attached? Are they just sat on the stand and left freestanding with the shear weight holding them in place or are they somehow secured to the wall? What about the drain? It appears there is some sort of metal flange that is attached to the bottom of the sink. From what I can tell, both bowls drains merge into one spot and then this flange is what would have connected to the plumbing. Is there an easy way to hook this back up or would I just have to rig it up and hope for the best? I'll start trying to kill the rust and clean that up.

Other than that, am I totally crazy for thinking this would make a great addition to the laundry room in our c1915 Craftsman house? The sink is dated 7-31-1922.

My other thoughts for this are pouring a slab next to our patio and setting it up outside and making a lid out of old barn cedar and using it for an ice chest. Another thought is I'm planning on an outdoor kitchen as well and I thought, maybe I create a cradle in the cabinetry and install it in the outdoor kitchen area as a sink/ice chest area and use it similar to a farmhouse sink. Obviously for the ice chest idea, I wouldn't have to worry about the plumbing, but if I used it for either sink idea I'd need to get it functioning, but for the outdoor sink, I guess it wouldn't matter as much if it leaked...
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement