Vent Stack Reroute Options - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Vent Stack Reroute Options

I'm installing a medicine cabinet in the wall of my 2nd floor master bathroom. After cutting out the drywall I found a 2" PVC vent stack in the wall about a foot inside the left edge of where the new medicine cabinet will go. My thought was to cut the pvc above and below the cabinet cutout area and re-route the vent stack using 4 90-degree elbows, but I have a problem.

Because the renovation area is on the same wall as the bathroom door, there isn't enough space to use 2 elbows to go left and up (see photo). Even if I reduce the 2" PVC to 1-1/2 there isn't quite enough clearance for the cabinet to insert past the rerouted vent stack.

Questions:
  1. Can I use flexible duct or tubing to reroute the vent stack around the side, connecting it with hose clamps top and bottom? Since there's no pressure in a vent stack this seems doable, but I've read that this doesn't meet code. (I live in MI.)
  2. If flexible isn't an option, can I install an Air Admittance Valve on the vent pipe?. Where I had to cut it off in the wall is still a foot higher than the sink drain/trap.
Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Kerry in Michigan
kblehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 777

Flexible is not allowed. AAV's are legal in Michigan but not sure of your set up. The AAV has to be accessible so if it is in the wall you would need a access door, possibly a louvered door.
ct18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2015, 11:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct18 View Post
Flexible is not allowed. AAV's are legal in Michigan but not sure of your set up. The AAV has to be accessible so if it is in the wall you would need a access door, possibly a louvered door.
Thank you for your response.

It's really disappointing that flexible isn't allowed for a vent line with absolutely no pressure. Especially considering flexible tubing is allowed for pressurized hot tub water lines, etc. Oh well, I'll figure something out.

The AAV would be behind the medicine cabinet, so it would be accessible by removing 2 mounting screws and pulling out the cabinet. Does that count?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2015, 12:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 777

No. I believe the official term is readily accessible, like opening a door.
ct18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,930

You can't go the the right or left of the medicine cabinet?
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #6

quote=Ghostmaker;2499289]You can't go the the right or left of the medicine cabinet?[/quote]

Yes, I'm going left of the new cabinet cutout. (Left is up in the photo.)

I cut 3 studs out to make room for the recessed cabinet; the stack goes up thru the wall on the right of the left-most stud. To reroute around the left side of the cabinet I cut the PVC & stud 3" below the cutout to make room for a left 90-degree elbow. Unfortunately the next stud over is only about 2" left of the cutout so a couple of 2" 90's and the vertical 2" PVC do not clear the cut-out. I had to reduce the 2" to 1.5" PVC, and even that will require some chiseling of the stud left of the cutout, which is why a flexible option would've made things so much easier.

Man, what a pain. It's always something!
Attached Thumbnails
Vent Stack Reroute Options-img_1175.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement