Valve On Opposite Side As Spout + Shower Head? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2015, 09:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 187

Valve on opposite side as spout + shower head?

Hello Folks,

I'd like to find out if you are aware of a code requirement preventing me from placing the valve on a tub/shower unit on the opposite side as the tub spout/shower head?
It's an alcove tub and I'm looking at closing off 2/3 of the open front with a fixed glass panel. By placing everything on one side, I'd have to step into the tub to turn on the water and would get hit cold water from the shower head.

Thanks!
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2015, 09:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

I understand your message as saying that you would like to install the shower head and the tub spout at one end of the tub, and put the valve assembly at the other end.

I am not aware of a code requirement that the valves and the spout/shower head be at the same end of the tub. I also note that many plumbing fixture manufacturers show catalog illustrations of bathrooms where the valves are in remote locations rather than adjacent to the tub spout or shower head. I think the close proximity of valves, spouts, and shower heads is more a matter of tradition, convenience, and simplicity for the plumber than a code requirement.

But I am not a plumber, nor have I looked at the UPC recently.
ctdahle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ctdahle For This Useful Post:
Jaxx (08-31-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2015, 01:53 AM   #3
Mad Scientist

The Delta shower valve I've got was pretty explicit that the tub spout was to be no less than 8 and no more than 12 inches directly below the valve body, or something like that. But that's the only shower valve I've every actually read the instructions for, so they're likely all different.

I can't really think of a reason for a requirement like that, unless it screws with the diverter or the pressure-balancing anti-scald doodad.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McSteve For This Useful Post:
Jaxx (08-31-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2015, 02:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteve View Post
The Delta shower valve I've got was pretty explicit that the tub spout was to be no less than 8 and no more than 12 inches directly below the valve body, or something like that. But that's the only shower valve I've every actually read the instructions for, so they're likely all different.

I can't really think of a reason for a requirement like that, unless it screws with the diverter or the pressure-balancing anti-scald doodad.
I reviewed the manual of the Grohe shower valve I already have for this application and it does not specify any min/max distances.
That was a good hint and I probably should have checked this before even posting here
Old 08-31-2015, 11:12 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 34

The limitations @McSteve posted about are probably for a pop-up diverter. I would think a valve type would not have those limitations. Best to wait for a plumber to check in tonight.
Any mention of codes is based on NFPA 70 and/or 72, as applicable, because they are the most widely adopted codes in the US. Local amendments may modify the code adopted in your area, so consult your local codes official.
GrayHair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrayHair For This Useful Post:
Jaxx (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #6

Any more comments? Thanks!
Old 09-09-2015, 06:01 PM   #7
Plumber

Rewards Points: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
Hello Folks,

I'd like to find out if you are aware of a code requirement preventing me from placing the valve on a tub/shower unit on the opposite side as the tub spout/shower head?
It's an alcove tub and I'm looking at closing off 2/3 of the open front with a fixed glass panel. By placing everything on one side, I'd have to step into the tub to turn on the water and would get hit cold water from the shower head.

Thanks!
The only code reference I'm aware of is that a shower head can not spray at the door.
Jaxx (09-09-2015), SHR Plumber (09-10-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement