UV Water Treatment Ballasts - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 596

UV Water treatment ballasts

I have an ATS EV-8E system, installed in 2009. It's already going on its fourth ballast. The first two were OEM, the third was a generic replacement. I've had them on surge protectors, but they seem to last two years max. Any suggestions for a replacement? Or should I just give up?

These are basically the same as fluorescent ballasts, so I am just flat out stumped. Imagine if you had to replace your fluorescent ballasts every one of two years. If I had a power problem, I'd think that other electronics in my house would be failing.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2015, 02:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,932

Make sure the ballast are not exposed to excessive heat.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2015, 08:23 PM   #3

It isn't. It's in the open air, mounted to a post above the original ATS canister.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015, 07:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,130

Have you tried calling ATS? I have that same model, which I installed in 2008. After a couple of years, something failed on the circuit board. Upon looking into it, I discovered that the parts diagram in the manual didn't match what I had, so I called ATS, explained the problem, and asked if they would send me the part I needed. Instead, they sent me a whole new unit at no charge.

Don't know what to say about your ballast issue. Didn't know the unit even had one. Other than changing the bulb once a year or so, I've never had another problem with my unit.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 10-19-2015 at 07:33 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #5

The silver box with the indicator light includes the ballast, so the local company I'm dealing with calls it a "ballast". I'd had the first replaced under warranty, but the warranty had run out by the time the second failed. I got this generic one not to be cheap, but because I was not confident in the quality of the originals. I would basically rather take my chances with my water (I drink out of an under sink RO system anyway) than keep spending $65-70 for a lamp every year and then another $50-75 for a new ballast every other year. Oh yeah, and the quartz sleeve, which is so fragile I'm afraid to touch it even though it's about due for replacement.

Those guys would have to give me a five year warranty, I think.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #6

Did testing of your water indicate you needed a UV purifier? Most people don't. All they do is kill bacteria, which chlorination eliminates in municipal systems, and few wells have any. I installed mine because I had worked with UV technology in military water treatment systems and just wanted to have it at home.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #7

Yes, the coliform count was too high when I bought the house, so a treatment system needed to be installed.

I have a dug well, with an active farm across the road, so runoff is a likely cause. It's possible that my coliform content is better now due to greater use of the well, but I think that's unlikely.

Edit: I should point out that "any" coliforms is apparently a fail according to the EPA. I didn't have any E. Coli, though.

Last edited by operagost; 10-20-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #8

OK, got it. I know that any coliform is a fail, but my well is 750 feet deep and no farm anywhere close so that's not an issue for me. I still suggest you contact ATS. I found them to be quite helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement