UV Sterilizer - Repair Or Replace? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,684

UV sterilizer - repair or replace?

Friends have an old farm house with a spring fed water supply. They have a sediment filter and a Master HI MSV 20 UV sterilizer installed there in 1991 that is acting up. First, the bulb is a few years old and needs replaced (supposed to be done annually) and second it has an alarm that is going off. I found the manual and it says the alarm is triggered when the light isn't working (but the light is on and working) or if the photo sensor relay is bad. So at the every least we are looking at ~$70 for a bulb and maybe $45 for a new relay.

1. Is it possible that the relay is OK and just the light is so weak it alarms... or maybe something needs cleaned?

2. Or would it be better to get one of the similarly rated units from Amazon for a~ $250 that come with extra bulbs and quartz sleeves? Not sure about the quality but there doesn't seem to be much to these things besides a pressure vessel, quartz tube a ballast and a UV tube.

3. I also see similarly rated units for upwards of $500 but being that there isn't much to them I am not sure how quality would really be better than the $250 models. Is it?

I have never worked on one of these so any advice welcome.
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,964

Re: UV sterilizer - repair or replace?

Can not imagine why it's even needed, have the water tested to see what treatment is needed.
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #3

It seems to be essentially surface water, I don't know if they tap directly into the source of the spring. Critters live in the stream, and lots of deer and such about. But no one has ever gotten sick from it that I know of and I doubt it is doing much sterilizing with a 3 year old bulb. I drank plenty of it last weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Can not imagine why it's even needed, have the water tested to see what treatment is needed.
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 1,184

Under stand one thing,,,,,,,,,,,, UV Lamps are a yearly change out........ yes the light might still be working but just only working.
If your looking at it to KILL!! then Once a year change.
The sleeve needs to be replaced about every 3 years.
The UV needs to have clear water for it to work correctly.
Failure of the above law shale we say means the uv would be better off and out of the water line.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #5

Understand about the bulb, I had not heard the quartz sleeve required regular replacement. This system has been neglected due to serious family illnesses and surrounding events. Trust me, the UV system was not a priority lately. I am guessing the sleeve has never been replaced.

I am planning to get and install a new bulb forthwith. Are the bulbs pretty much standard or are they proprietary? Looks like a 4-pin 40W UV tube about 36" long. I haven't pulled it yet so don't have exact length. I am guessing I could get one easily online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
Under stand one thing,,,,,,,,,,,, UV Lamps are a yearly change out........ yes the light might still be working but just only working.
If your looking at it to KILL!! then Once a year change.
The sleeve needs to be replaced about every 3 years.
The UV needs to have clear water for it to work correctly.
Failure of the above law shale we say means the uv would be better off and out of the water line.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 1,184

There are a few different brands on the market, it is good to stay with a good quality UV lamp replacement to insure that you get the 99% kill with the lamp for a year. There are some lower quality ones and they are cheap but if your looking for the kill and peace of mind I would go with a good quality and spend a bit of money, not the high end, and get a good quality one.
The sleeve should be replaced every x number of years because of the build up that can happen on the inside and on the water side of the sleeve and that will lower how the uv acts with the water.

Find the book either that came with the light or look up its model on line and down load that manual. The manufacture has dates and times as to when to replace different parts for the most effective use of the light.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement