Using Milwaukee 12v Expansion Kit For Pex - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

Using Milwaukee 12v Expansion Kit for Pex

My house is 15 years old and has what I believe to be PEX-type tubing throughout. I've noticed faucets throughout the house are starting to show their age. My plan is to replace them with ball-valves where possible.

Thinking seriously about purchasing a Milwaukee Propex expansion took kit (~$400) so I can do these replacements myself. Just had a washer faucet head replaced by a plumber cause I didn't have a pex expander and was short on time (washer/dryer delivery the next day). Could have almost purchased this tool with what I paid the plumber just to make these four connections for me.

I've attached a pic of the PEX tubing that's in my house. It's the larger, white tubing. The smaller 1/2" red/blue pex was installed by the plumber to match new 1/2" washer faucet heads. I believe the previous were 3/4".

Can anyone tell from the pics what type/size tubing the larger, white tubing is? I'm guessing it's 3/4", but not sure about the type. Thanks!

HomeGuy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 900

Are you sure the existing is not PB instead of PEX?

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
Plumber

Rewards Points: 290

your 2nd picture shows 3/4x1/2 reducer

You could also switch to crimp rings and use the appropriate fittings if you don't want to spend the money on expansion tools.
Crimp style will work on Uponor pipe but not the other way around- Uponor is proprietary so to speak.
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

The pipe/fittings in the picture are either uponor or wirsbo. You may call around and see if you can buy them as they are usually only sold at plumbing wholesale houses.
dannyoung85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:54 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

The pipe and fittings look like my Wirsbo pipe and fittings. I think Uponor is a trade name of Wirsbo. I did my whole house using Wirsbo tubing and expansion rings, I used the manual tool, I suppose the electric one would have been easier and faster.

Just a little detail to be aware of. Wirsbo uses Type A pex, which is a bit more flexible than type B and type C pex. The Wirsbo expansion rings are only guaranteed to work with Wirsbo type A tubing. Crimp rings, on the other hand, may be able to work with Types A, B and C tubing, I am not certain. The manufacturer of the crimp ring system would be the best source, if you decide to go crimp rings instead of the Wirsbo system.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #6

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I've attached another picture of the water lines used in our house. Not sure if this pic is a bit more helpful in identifying the type of tubing.

Interesting that everybody mentioned the option of using crimp rings instead of expansion. Just noticed crimp rings were used for the water softener installation that was done 13-14 years ago. To my untrained eye the expansion-type fittings, along with the "outer ring", appear to be a more substantial and secure connection than the crimp-type.

In any case, I did make a few calls to a few plumbing stores locally. It appears the crimp tool can be easily rented whereas the expansion tool, not so readily available.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

That does not look like PEX to me. Is there some place you can read the label?

Old 07-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

RJNiles, not sure why you don't think that is PEX, it looks exactly like the Wirsbo 3/4 inch PEX I put in all over my house. There should be lettering on the side of the tubing that will identify exactly what it is, unfortunately I cannot read the lettering in the photo, but if the OPS takes a picture of the lettering I can compare it to my Wirsbo PEX to be sure.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
RJNiles, not sure why you don't think that is PEX, it looks exactly like the Wirsbo 3/4 inch PEX I put in all over my house. There should be lettering on the side of the tubing that will identify exactly what it is, unfortunately I cannot read the lettering in the photo, but if the OPS takes a picture of the lettering I can compare it to my Wirsbo PEX to be sure.
I never saw PEX that looks that translucent but I just looked at a picture of Uponor Type A PEX and it does look like that. Apologize if I started a wild goose chase.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #10

Finally got up in the attic. We definitely have WIRSBO type A PEX. I'm assuming this is 1" since the outside diameter is 1 1/8".

I'm also assuming the smaller, white, transluscent tubing in my earlier posts was 3/4" WIRSBO. The labeling appeared to be different so I can't be sure.

In any case, found a local plumbing house that rents the Milwaukee battery operated expander (with 1/2, 3/4, and 1 inch attachments) for $65 a day. That may be a better option than buying.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeGuy2 For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (07-28-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement