Upgrade Water Line From 1/2 To 3/4? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 129

Upgrade water line from 1/2 to 3/4?

Hello pros

Wanted some feedback and thoughts on upgrading to 3/4 water line. Here is the scenario.

The main water line coming into the house is 3/4. After the inside house meter it goes about 10 feet at 3/4 and then splits into a T fitting and goes from 3/4 to 1/2 and 1/2. The whole house is fitted at 1/2 after that.

My goal is to reduce the loss of water pressure when multiple fixtures are on at different parts of the house.

If I upgrade the main "trunk" to 3/4 and branch off to tie into the multiple different 1/2 using 3/4,3/4,1/2 T fittings would pressure loss be less? For instance currently if someone turns on the kitchen sink while someone is in the shower, water pressure is noticeably reduced.

I guess it also comes down to a question of overall water pressure coming into the house. I don't know if pressure is restricted based on the 1/2, or the native pressure coming into the house or both.

What do you guys think? Would upgrading the main feed inside the house to 3/4 have a positive different or would I just be wasting my time?

Thanks!
AdamBNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,990

Your looking for flow, not pressure.
A 3/4" line will have about twice the avalible flow so the pressure will seem higher.
Yes, it will make a big difference.
JERRYMAC (03-06-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 178

Code is usually 1/2" to last two fixtures.
SHEPLMBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 266

I'm looking to do the same thing. Are you doing the work yourself or hiring a plumper?
Marky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 129

I do all my own work. Avid DIY'er. I do my own electric, gas and water plumbing. and i pull permits for my own work especially if i'm touching a gas line. in NJ i'm allowed to do my own work on my own single family home.
AdamBNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement