Untangling Basement Mess - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

untangling basement mess

I have a 1920s 2-family. the plumbing in the basement is a mess o fa maze.

When the water heaters were relocated for venting purposes, the the lines were just extended to/from instead of re-planned.

When the kitchen on 2nd floor unit was updated, a 3/4 line for both cold & hot was put in, but the water heater is still fed from a 1/2 only and 1/2 out that goes to 3/4 fot the kitchen ... ;( resulting in perceived low hot pressure at the kitchen sink (most likely low volume)

some of the pipes seem to go around in circle around the basement, way too many copped connections to go around a boiler pipe, etc ...

I want to simplify / correct / improve the situation. my plan is to feed both water heaters with 3/4, and come out with 3/4 to a manifold, then 1/2 to fixtures.

** except kitchen #2 where I can't really replace the feed with a 1/2, so I'll make it 3/4. it will likely result in longer wait for hot, but better volume/pressure. I'm also shortening that run by about 15' or 1/2 copper with a bunch of fittings, so I might actually be improving the wait in the end ...

I've attached my planned layout, but have a few questions:

1) should I have 2 separate cold manifolds or is having only one serving both units better ?

2) in some other threads, people only put bypass line for the cold manifolds where others also do it for the hot. advantages/disadvantages ?

3) I'm probably leaving the first sillcock coming straight out of the main instead of a manifold. it's already there, I just have to replace the shutoff valve.

Thanks in advance !
Attached Thumbnails
untangling basement mess-plumbing_basement.jpg  
coutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 180

Re: untangling basement mess

Do you know your water pressure? This is needed to properly size a system. With the fixture count you show, I'm guessing a 1" line from the meter might be needed....
As for manifolds, I seldom use them so I can't offer much help there
Advertisement

Tags
basement , feed , manifold , pex