Uneven And Below Floor Toilet Flange - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Uneven and below floor toilet flange

6 year old toilet started leaking. Removed and the wax seal was mess and other issues, like the bolts were never tightened to the flange only to the toilet itself.
Tried to use an extra thick wax seal and another thin wax ring to stack as some have suggested. Problem the top ring slides to the uneven side and does no good when under pressure. I cant stack another flange on top because its uneven and everything I read says that if I use silicone or anything to put the 2 together I run the risk if I have to plunge it od cracking it.....HELP!
kgriswo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2016, 07:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,208

Re: Uneven and below floor toilet flange

Welcome to the forum kgriswo.

Do you have access underneath by chance? Please post a couple pics. Thanks.

I responded to your post, you should be able to post pics now, if not post them to your photo album. Thanks.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2016, 09:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,684

What you are telling us is not logical. Remove all the existing wax ring and post a picture of the flange.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2016, 10:24 AM   #4

wont let me post pic and not sure about photo album. 1/4 inch from top of tile on one side almost 1/2 on opposite, rusty wit a bit of mold on 1/2 side
Old 08-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #5

2nd floor bathroom would have to cut a hole in first floor ceiling. Im thinking maybe because I used an extra thich and an additional ring that was th problem. to explain further, the top slid off on one side allowing a gap to remain
Old 08-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #6

Quote:
to explain further, the top slid off on one side allowing a gap to remain
That's the part that is not logical.

If you put two wax rings together they just stick together and become one glob of wax.
You are removing the plastic covers aren't you?
Old 08-14-2016, 09:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 14

I just had my floor completely redone because the last owner had done a terrible job when installing tiles. They had the toilet flange below the tile level. This caused the flange to crack and cause leaks which rotted the floor. In the end it cost me $2000. It took 8 years to get that bad and since this is a long term damage, insurance doesnt cover it.
kenju4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #8

OK, I understand your grief. It doesn't help but I understand. First try posting a picture again. This site has some rules about you can't post pictures until you have made more than one post.
I am trying to visualize what you have described. You said the toilet flange was ” below the tile on one side and ” below on the other. That is only ” out of level and you should be able to work with that. Ideally the flange should be above the floor or tile surface.
There are plastic (PVC) rings that you can add to the flange to increase its height. You said something about rust and the toilet not being bolted to the flange. So my question is were the hold down bolts properly fitted to the flange. Or did the bolts rust away. Usually the bolts are brass and don’t rust. Is the flange metal and rust away. There are repair flanges is that is the problem.
Also what kind of pipe do you have? If it is PVC you can probably pry up the low side of the flange and put a small shim under it to level it. Not possible if you have cast iron pipe.
There are wax rings, there are wax rings with a horn. Each come in different thicknesses. There are now rubber or neoprene replacements for wax rings. Of course you can use two wax rings (as you have attempted to do) . If you put a wax ring down and then put another one on top of it the two will simply mash together and become one. The top one should not slip to one side. You probably should not use more than two. What will happen is that when you set the toilet the wax will be compressed down and squeeze both out to the outside and inward toward the pipe and possibly block the pipe. Wax rings come with a plastic cover to protect it until you use. You, of course remove that piece of plastic. That is why I ask earlier if you remove the plastic cover. That is the only thing I can figure out that would cause the ring to slide to one side.
Another question I have is, what is the condition of the flooring around the pipe? Is the toilet flange secured to the flooring, if not can it be screwed down?

Try posting a picture and try to answer some of these questions.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #9

PS
The instructions for installing a wax ring are to put it on the toilet, not on the floor flange. No one does it but that is the proper way to install a wax ring. The reason is that if put on the toilet the wax cannot block the toilet or the pipe when compressed. If put on the flange the wax can be squeezed inward and block or partially block the pipe and the toilet.
No one does it that way because of course you must turn the toilet over on its side to do so. Of all the toilets I have set and reset I have only done it that way once. And that was just to see what would happen.
However, when putting it on the flange, I push the center of the wax outward away from the center and down to make it stick and to make the center opening larger.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:17 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,256

As mentioned, lower flange can be built back up with things called repair flange or such. I use metal flange - pvc just looks flimsy for the bolts. There are cast iron flanges. Use wax (not the whole ring - just fill then some extra for all the spaces in between) to seal the two and screw it down to the subfloor. You can drill new holes.
If you look at the toilet bottom, there is 1"(?) recess where the wax is supposed to go. If the flange was even with the finish floor, one wax ring is NOT enough to compress and give it a good seal (measure and see what works for you). The funnel wax ring must be on the top but the rest of the spacing can be filled and somewhat leveled with extra wax. You should have about 1/4" more wax between the flange and the toilet bottom. I use little more because I always shim the toilet up and tape/caulk the bottom. Get a funnel ring and 2 extra rings. You can't really fine tune the wax. Just mash it, tear a piece, to build and shape to the height you need. Smear and work it on the flange face for best adhesion and make sure the surface is dry.
Also make sure you can install the bolts and they are long enough. Longer bolts make it easier to guide the toilet down.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement