DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Under sink filtration install problem? Water comes out faucet side when disposal on

6K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  the_man 
#1 ·
I purchased a under the sink water filtration set up for my kitchen sink from Sears. It came with installation and they had someone come to install it. After he was done, I later noticed that when I run my garbage disposal water, food, ect.. shoots out the side of the faucet through a small hole. I assume that this small hole is to let air back into the tank when water is taken out. Is this normal/ok? If the hole is used for air to get into the tank, could food be getting into the tank since it shoots out this hole? Thanks for the help

#3 ·
Not supposed to happen. Something is wrong. Can you take and post a picture of the install.

I will get some pictures when I get home tonight.

From what I can tell, the disposal runs over to the dishwasher and a "T" comes off the middle of that pvc pipe up a few inches. That T is where the line to the faucet is tied into. If the sink has very little water in it when the disposal is ran, everything is fine. If there is much water in it, I'm guessing the water hits that "T" and is forced up that line.
Thanks for the help.

#4 ·
This sounds like a reverse osmosis filter system, and there is a 1/4" flex tube running from the membrane to the drain. Normally these are saddles, and if it's leaking there just try to tighten it up. If it's leaking from underneath the spout, the water from the disposal is getting into that line. Probably needs to be moved, there also could be a slight blockage in the drain, and that air gap under the faucet is the lowest place for water to come out. Whatever it is, you paid good money for installation, call Sears and tell them to get the installer back out to fix it

#6 ·
This sounds like a reverse osmosis filter system, and there is a 1/4" flex tube running from the membrane to the drain. Normally these are saddles, and if it's leaking there just try to tighten it up. If it's leaking from underneath the spout, the water from the disposal is getting into that line. Probably needs to be moved, there also could be a slight blockage in the drain, and that air gap under the faucet is the lowest place for water to come out. Whatever it is, you paid good money for installation, call Sears and tell them to get the installer back out to fix it
Part of my problem was that it was installed quite some time ago now. I called after I first noticed it and was told that it was normal and not to worry about it. I was careful not to run the disposal when there was water in the sink. The more I thought about it I thought that this can't be right but didn't want to have a plumber come out if it really was the way it was supposed to be.

#8 ·
OK it is an RO system, and the drain on it is an actually fitting instead of a saddle, which is good. It's a bit cluttered under the sink, can you show us exactly where the water is coming out?
The black line that runs up to the facuet ,that the filtered water comes out of, is where the water from the sink comes out. The black line runs up to a small hole in the side of the facuet that I assume was for air to come into.
If there is little water in the sink when the garbage disposal is ran, everything seems to be ok. If the sink has more than a little water in it, water gets forced up the black line that is pictured and comes out the small hole side of the facuet that came with the RO system.
Thanks for the help

#9 ·
I'm kind of leaning toward a slight blockage in the line, but not 100% sure. I would probably try to repipe the drain lines, so that the black flex line is connected to the drain past the continuous waste tee, and before the P trap. That tee has a baffle inside of it, might be causing enough of a restriction to force the water up that black line

#12 ·
I'm not that familiar with a system like this. Are you sure that black tube is supposed to be hooked to the faucet? It doesn't make sense to me that a black tube tying into a potable water system is connected to a drainage system. Seems like some cross contamination could occur. i.e. nasty gray water in your faucet. Kinda defeats the purpose :huh:

#14 ·
Reverse Osmosis filters push water thru a membrane, which pulls all impurities out. The 2 problems with the systems is that they are slow, which is why there is a 5 gallon tank under the sink; and that they push those impurities out using water. The systems waste a fair amount of water, because they are connected to the drain. The hole under the faucet is an air gap to protect the potable water system

#17 ·
it could, but b/c it is so tight i suggested a new tee w/o a baffle. i've always thought the baffle inside a continuous waste tee was pretty useless, all its good for is getting clogged w/ carrots or noodles. if the OP wants to try to stuff it in there, he wouldn't necessarily have to buy a new tee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.