Turned Water Faucet Wrong Way. Did Soldered Pipes Hold Up ??? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2016, 12:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 33

Turned water faucet wrong way. Did soldered pipes hold up ???

I was washing my car outside after Christmas. I accidentally turned the water faucet the wrong way a few times in a clockwise direction trying to turn the water on. I thought the water faucet was stuck then realized I was going in wrong direction. I gripped the water faucet once or twice with wash cloth applying some force. Lucky my fingers and hand were a bit stiff and didn't grip faucet with too much force possibly. In a few days I'm going to go into crawlspace and check the soldered areas on the water valve in the crawlspace and on the water line in the picture. It's not so much the water faucet outside but what's in the picture showing the pipe in the crawlspace. Hopefully it's not leaking or won't break. I can always webcam this if nothing is wrong. Afraid it could leak or break. Plumber will charge a little bit more having to crawl into crawlspace say 80 feet total to do any work.
Attached Thumbnails
Turned water faucet wrong way. Did soldered pipes hold up ???-img_20160101_154859099.jpg   Turned water faucet wrong way. Did soldered pipes hold up ???-img_20160105_132653950.jpg  

Last edited by steve3847; 01-05-2016 at 01:09 PM.
steve3847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 796

I seriously doubt you could damage a solder joint with the force of your hand. Unless you are superman.

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
steve3847 (01-05-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2016, 01:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,906

If you know where your water meter is, mark it's needle position with a felt pen on the glass dial before you go to work. When you come back home, check to see if the dial needle has moved at all. That will tell you whether or not you have a leak. This presumes there isn't anything else in your house that might use water while you're away, like an ice maker in your fridge door.

I tend to agree with RJNiles' post. Unless you actually twisted that faucet hard enough to cause the whole faucet body to rotate, then I doubt you did any harm. Your second picture shows the hydrant on the outside of your house in the correct position. If that photo was taken after you tried to wash your car, then I expect you simply twisted the piping a bit, but it simply sprung back into position after you let go of the faucet handle.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 01-05-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nestor_Kelebay For This Useful Post:
steve3847 (01-05-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2016, 04:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 299

I'm sure you didn't damage it. I've cranked the hell out of one with a pipe wrench trying to attach a union without it leaking, and didn't damage the soldered copper line.
Syberia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Syberia For This Useful Post:
steve3847 (01-07-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 06:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syberia View Post
I'm sure you didn't damage it. I've cranked the hell out of one with a pipe wrench trying to attach a union without it leaking, and didn't damage the soldered copper line.
Same. I actually was trying to remove an outside sillcock on a home, someone told me it was a "screw on" type. Having limited plumbing experience, I cranked the hell out of that thing with a huge pipe wrench, finally tearing the copper . The solder joint remained intact! But the force it took to do the damage is not something you could do with just your hand. I would guess you are fine and the real plumbers here concur.
steve3847 (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 33

Check this in March

Think I will check this in March. I can see it from air vent with Moto X for now. To get a few inches from it will have to wait. Just too cold in January and February.
steve3847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement