Trying To Salvage My Favorite Paint Gun - Reamed Pipe Socket - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 604

Trying to salvage my favorite paint gun - reamed pipe socket

I've got this Wagner HVLP Conversion gun that is absolutely awesome for painting and finishing cabinetry. I dropped it on the ground and the air tube in the handle snapped off and I have been hopelessly trying to get the pipe out of the socket of the gun. The metal of the tube is extremely soft and I have reamed it thin trying to get it out with a pipe extractor, and a sprinkler system nipple extractor - the damn thing just won't come out. Can I take a tap of the right size and start it on the existing threads and tap through the existing thin pipe that is still stuck in the socket? I would really like to salvage this rather than having to shell out another $250 for a new one. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to salvage my favorite paint gun - reamed pipe socket-img_6719.jpg   Trying to salvage my favorite paint gun - reamed pipe socket-img_6720.jpg   Trying to salvage my favorite paint gun - reamed pipe socket-img_6718.jpg  
noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,976

Re: Trying to salvage my favorite paint gun - reamed pipe socket

You can try a tap and see but I wouldn't be overly optimistic. I suspect it has become a parts gun.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2017, 02:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,410

Does it appear that a standard pipe would take the place of the broken piece? If possible measure the diameter of the piece in hand and the threads per inch to determine if a standard pipe nipple will work, then we'll know what pipe tap to chase the threads with.

From the picture it looks like maybe a fine thread.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Does it appear that a standard pipe would take the place of the broken piece? If possible measure the diameter of the piece in hand and the threads per inch to determine if a standard pipe nipple will work, then we'll know what pipe tap to chase the threads with.

From the picture it looks like maybe a fine thread.
I'm not sure if it's a standard pipe or not but I know I spent $30 on this part and I sure would like it to work! I measured it and it's a thin walled pipe as you can see. 1/2" inner diameter and I believe 19/32" outer diameter. The thread distance peak to peak is a little less than 3/64". I also have the other half of the old pipe I tried to screw into it and stopped because it wouldn't go any further and I didn't want to screw it up further. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to salvage my favorite paint gun - reamed pipe socket-img_6723_1505081618839.jpg   Trying to salvage my favorite paint gun - reamed pipe socket-img_6724_1505081637992.jpg   Trying to salvage my favorite paint gun - reamed pipe socket-img_6725_1505081650147.jpg  

Last edited by noone; 09-10-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #5

If you can return it please do as the chinese and or retailer got into your pocket real deep for a $1.29 item.

That 30 dollar piece doesn't have standard tapered pipe threads. If that piece of pipe was standard tapered pipe thread the end would be approximately 1/32" smaller than the diameter at the upper end of the threads.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:43 PM   #6

Is there an alternative part I can buy elsewhere? What is the threading on this? I don't have a thread gauge.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #7

Do you still have the broken piece? That would be a good start to compare that diameter to 1/4" standard pipe. Pictures are good but the thread looks too fine to me to be 1/4" pipe thread. The threads on 1/8" pipe will be much finer but I can't tell diameter by the pictures. That's why I ask if you have the old broken piece. If you don't have it open the jaws of an adjustable wrench ( Crescent ) to the hole opening diameter and use it as a caliper on a 1/4" pipe and 1/8" pipe to see if it it even close.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:32 PM   #8

The measurements of the pipe are provided above as is the picture of the new pipe which is the same as the old broken pipe which I still have. I have a digital caliper.

Last edited by noone; 09-10-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #9

Let's say we can figure out the pipe size. What are my next steps here? Can I take Dremel and ream it out more? I want to make the best decision with what I have.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #10

Your O.D. measurement is closest to 1/4" pipe according to the charts.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Let's say we can figure out the pipe size. What are my next steps here? Can I take Dremel and ream it out more? I want to make the best decision with what I have.
A pipe tap is what I would do next leaving as much material as possible. No cutting oil on that metal when chasing threads but make certain no cuttings go inside.

If I could get 4 good threads in there I would go for the JB weld and call it good.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 09-10-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:57 PM   #12

Good idea on the JB Weld. I can't figure out the thread size. I counted 15 threads over that 19/32" length of pipe that has threads on it.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #13

According to this chart that pipe you bought is not standard tapered pipe thread. It has no taper. The threads per inch are close to 1/8" pipe but the 1/8" NPT pipe diameter is wrong.

You'll just need to tap it with a 1/4" pipe tap and hope it works.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,956

I would go at those threads with a metal pick and try to pull out the pieces of remaining male threads. Ideally you start it and pull on it and end up with a coil of something that looks like wire. Any more reaming is going to cut into the female threads.

You are working with soft metal so it should not be hard with a steel pick, very small screwdrivers, big sewing needles, etc. Work slowly and set aside the power tools.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post
I would go at those threads with a metal pick and try to pull out the pieces of remaining male threads. Ideally you start it and pull on it and end up with a coil of something that looks like wire. Any more reaming is going to cut into the female threads.

You are working with soft metal so it should not be hard with a steel pick, very small screwdrivers, big sewing needles, etc. Work slowly and set aside the power tools.
I tried that yesterday and it worked for a couple of threads and then the coil broke off. I'll give it's try again tomorrow if we have power while we wait out the hurricane in NE FL. Thanks for all the tips folks.
The Following User Says Thank You to noone For This Useful Post:
Ghostmaker (09-11-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement