Troubleshooting Residential Well - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Unhappy

Troubleshooting residential well

Hello,

I have been "fighting" with our well (in a rural area) at a newly acquired property, and I am running out of ideas. I really hope somebody can help me with my problem.
Our well appears to be 4.5 inches, screened from 50 ft to 100 ft with 5 gpm production (at installation which was in 1978). No info at what depth the pump is installed, or which pump I have. But I saw remnants of a control box with 3-wires (yellow, black and red), no ground, and with 230-250V power supply.
The property has been abandoned for 2 years, and of course, the well did not start with flipping the switch of the power since the control box was missing the front panel.
So, I bought and replaced the pressure switch with a brand new (including replaced the brass nipple), and bought brand new control box (1/2 to 2 hp , 230V, Franklin brand, exactly what was there before). Even though I replaced all these parts the pump does not pump water. I know, you will say, YOUR PUMP does not work.
Uhhha. While I was "experimenting" and waiting for my control box to arrive, I "rigged" the connections, and voila, my pump started pumping water. I connected the black (from the power) to the black and red of the pump, and the white (with black marking) with the yellow, and the darn pump started pumping and filling up my tank. (The tank is also "shot").
My questions are: 1) when I connected properly my brand new control box, the pump did not pump. Why? and 2) when I " rigged" again the pump to start pumping, my pressure switch (brand new) did not shut the water at 50 psi. It just kept on pumping. My pressure switch is 30-50psi. Why?
D Handywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,904

Re: Troubleshooting residential well

The new control box must have a connection to the pressure somewhere. Maybe that connection is bad. Maybe the control box is not connected properly.
Without knowing exactly what you connected to what we can't help.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #3

The pressure connection is good because I replaced the nipple with brand new one. And i connected the switch properly exactly as it was and exactly as instructed by the manufacturer (there is a video posted by the manufacturer how to connect).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,904

We can't see your setup and connections from here. If you hooked it up the way it should be then it should run.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,286

I looked at my 240V submerged Franklin and this how it's wired from the pressure switch to the pump motor.

The wires from the pressure switch enter the Franklin on the right side in the picture and the wires from the Franklin to the pump motor exit from the bottom in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Troubleshooting residential well-water-well-franklin-control-2017.jpg  
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #6

Mine are even easier to figure out because the R, Y, and B are red, yellow, and black exactly as they are coming out of the well pump. And I did connect them like that. I bought the the same control box because the old relay (blue thing) had fallen from the old box in the well house. But NOTHING, no pumping. As I said, when I connected directly my power to the red/black (to one hot wire) and yellow (to second hot wire), the pump worked. However, i am worried I am going to burn the pump if this is not as designed. Plus my brand new pressure switch does not cut off the pressure at 60 psi (it is 30/50 psi switch).
Old 11-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,286

I'm accustomed to this type of response. I didn't get a E for effort in school either.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:10 PM   #8

Unhappy

Any suggestion is welcome. i am going back this weekend, and will take pictures.
Meanwhile, welcome sleepless nights...
Old 11-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 382

If I understand what you did, the reason the pump works with the "rigged" wiring is because you are bypassing the pressure switch. It seems that either the new pressure switch is not working, or something is wrong with the control.
fa_f3_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:10 AM   #10
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 876

The pump and control should be wired as follows:

240 volt supply connected to L1 and L2 of the pressure switch.

M1 and M2 of the pressure switch connected to L1 and L2 of the control box

R,Y, B from the control box to the pump.

If this is how you have it wired, verify the control box is getting 240 at the L1, L2 terminals

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
well pump control box , well pump pressure switch