Toilets Keep Backing-up - Solution ?? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By SeniorSitizen
  • 1 Post By tstex
  • 2 Post By SeniorSitizen
  • 1 Post By lenaitch
  • 2 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC

Old 11-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,238

toilets keep backing-up - solution ??

Hello to All

We have a total 4 toilets: 2 upstairs, 2 downstairs. House was built in 2005. We have City sewer and water lines.

The toilets downstairs seem to need plunging more and more now. The plunger has always been able to unclog the toilets. The 1/2 bath [toilet & sink] seems to get it the most. The other is the master bathroom downstairs and the girls upstairs Hollywood bathroom.

In master bathroom [shower, Jacuzzi and two sinks], my wife's sink was starting to drain real slow. Guest shower above master flooded our bathroom by water from shower backing up from wife's sink onto floor. The jaccuzi and my sink have never had an issue ever, shower started draining real slow but it was tons of hair. I removed, no more problems since 1.5 yrs ago. Had to hire a plumber to use an electric roto-rooter to clean-out wife's sink link. It drains perfect now.

Question: The plumber charged me $238.00 for 30 min's of work. I'm not doing that again, so I was going to rent an electric sewer line cleaner and DIY. He used a 1-1.5" line for wife's sink. He said for toilet or drain lines, to use a 4" line. I just wanted to ask you guys what is the best route to go on renting something and if you have any tips or other suggestions?

Thank you,
tstex
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2016, 04:16 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 12,362

Re: toilets keep backing-up - solution ??

If they were snaked before, they should not continue to clog.

Did the plumber mention anything about routing, venting, or other conditions that would create the slow drain?
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,034

Quote:
He used a 1-1.5" line for wife's sink. He said for toilet or drain lines, to use a 4" line.
Ayuh,.... Measure the lines ya wanta snake,....

Most common are 1, 1/2", 2", 3", 'n 4",....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2016, 06:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
If they were snaked before, they should not continue to clog.

Thanks Windows

The sink is not clogging at all, which was the only snaked drain line

Did the plumber mention anything about routing, venting, or other conditions that would create the slow drain?
The plumber said something like the drain likes were like a "Peace-sign" where 3 lines come into one and it get's clogged there. not sure what type of lines all meet there. Nothing on venting. The snake he used had 25ft max and used it all...

let me know if this answers your questions
Old 11-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... Measure the lines ya wanta snake,....

How do you measure the lines? Our house is 4422 sq ft and two story. so maybe 2500 sq ft of slab. How do you measure the drain lines? To me, I have no idea where the drain lines from the toilet lead to and terminate?
If I were to make an assumption, would I take a straight line from that toilet to where the sewer line washout is, and measure that? Then add maybe 10-15 more feet to it?

Most common are 1, 1/2", 2", 3", 'n 4",....
I believe our toilet drain lines are 4" based on what the plumber said to me and the sinks 1.5"

Thank you Bondo.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,526

Solutions: One of these strainers inverted over the sink pop up's will prevent a large portion of your hair troubles.

Or, if the ladies would step about 18" left or right of the sink to do their hair 99% of the hair problems would be history.

Either need to be implemented with a sign that says: CLEAN UP YOUR OWN MESS.
Attached Images

MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Solutions: One of these strainers inverted over the sink pop up's will prevent a large portion of your hair troubles.

Or, if the ladies would step about 18" left or right of the sink to do their hair 99% of the hair problems would be history.

Either need to be implemented with a sign that says: CLEAN UP YOUR OWN MESS.
ROFLLLLLL I need a diplomat to present the "clean up your own mess" concept. Are you available senior? I have a wife and 3 females w long hair: brown, blonde and auburn. wife has black curry hair...

let me know when you are ready?

PS - any kind of drain guard for the shower?
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,526

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstex View Post
PS - any kind of drain guard for the shower?
Sure, install same strainer upright, and this cleaning of "PUBLIC" hair really needs to be handled with authority and tact. Just tell those girls who's wearing the britches in this house.

Didn't work for me but hopefully it will for you.
MTN REMODEL LLC and tstex like this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:31 PM   #9
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,734

Re: Toilets - more fibre in your diet? Seriously though, are they filling and draining completely so you are getting an aggressive enough flushing action. Even after a snaking, there might be build-up of 'stuff' inside the toilet just enough to impair the flow. The inside of the drain neck of a toilet is rough cast and might be trapping debris. If it persists, perhaps remove them from the flange - it will cost you a new wax ring. I have seen where crud catches other crud and grows into something unworldly and that a snake might go right past.

As for the sink and shower, and not willing to get into female ablution practices, we have a very inexpensive rubber strainer over our shower drain, and when the missus is doing her hair over the sink, try laying a sheet of toilet paper or tissue over the drain, then scoop it and any hair out when done and throw it in the trash. Especially if the sinks have a pop-up, soap scum build-up will trap dirt and hair fairly quickly.
SeniorSitizen likes this.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
tstex (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 08:58 PM   #10
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,734

Sounds like the plugged drains are pretty local to the fixture, (hair etc and not the main).

With three ladies in the home, first I'd go and stop by the local 7-eleven and stock up on a few cases of beer...

then go to HD//Lowes and buy a DIY snake for those drains. They are cheap (less then the cases of beer).

You can get a hand crank snake... or one that a hand drill powers.

If you do have main line problems, yes you'll probably want to rent a power bigger snake... about $25 for 1/2 day....(probably better than $238).

You will probably learn where the major stoppage occurs after a few trys... and it will be easy after that.

Often it is hair, but normally sink/tub fixtures have sufficient strainers.\\

Are you sure it is not coffee grounds or something regularily goes thru the disposal.

Good luck... Those ladies will probably be married and gone after a while... then you will miss the clogged drains.

Best
lenaitch and tstex like this.
tstex (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 09:10 PM   #11

Thanks MTN - I'm really tired and going to bed, but will respond in detail in the morning. Lot of good points you made - and yes, I will miss them - one is leaving for college next yr...tstex
Old 11-11-2016, 08:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Sounds like the plugged drains are pretty local to the fixture, (hair etc and not the main).

With three ladies in the home, first I'd go and stop by the local 7-eleven and stock up on a few cases of beer...

then go to HD//Lowes and buy a DIY snake for those drains. They are cheap (less then the cases of beer).

You can get a hand crank snake... or one that a hand drill powers.

If you do have main line problems, yes you'll probably want to rent a power bigger snake... about $25 for 1/2 day....(probably better than $238).

You will probably learn where the major stoppage occurs after a few trys... and it will be easy after that.

Often it is hair, but normally sink/tub fixtures have sufficient strainers.\\

Are you sure it is not coffee grounds or something regularily goes thru the disposal.

Good luck... Those ladies will probably be married and gone after a while... then you will miss the clogged drains.

Best
MTN,

We do not put anything down the disposal that normally is not first scraped off the plates. Only small things may be washed into the sink drain. I'm the only one that drinks coffee, and I have always put into trash can.

If I snake the toilets can I put into the toilet directly, or do I need to remove the toilet? I think I read that I have to remove toilet, and replace a wax ring at the flange...I'm all ears on the proper process.

Finally, whatever the drain pipes ID are, is this the same type snake line I should rent": ie, 4" drain line, 4" snake, etc...

Thank you very much,
tstex
Old 11-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,274

Snaking the drain pipes are not always a diy. The line can (read the posts) tangle inside the bend or off shoots and you will not be able to retract the line. Learn about your system and where the clean out plugs are and start with most forgiving size which is 1/4" spring that comes with most of the throw away snakes. These come in less than 10' to up to 25' or so. I cut off the flared end because it always makes it harder to turn the bend, and cut off about 6' section. I do this because drill turning makes some situations (eg tight turns) possible where hand turning is impossible. Chuck it to a drill and shove in by hand as far as it will go then support/push the line just entering the hole with one hand as I start the drill slow. Push with the drill as well. The line can go in another direction, eg a vent, and if it feels like the line is just spinning or not picking up any hair or crud, then it probably isn't in the drain. After about each foot, push/pull with hand/drill to clean out the section you are in. Then push in another foot and push/pull again. Most problems are solved with short section.
IMO, anything else with a head or root cutter can't make the turns, esp for diy.

Slow building blockage can be up to different reasons. Rough joint can catch hair/paper. Sorry can't remember the specifics but wrong connector to vertical/horizontal mains can add to blockage - using long bend vs short. Check for these spots if you can. You may have to snake from the roof vent. Plumbers charge a lot for all this, so if diy, learn your system first.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #14

Thanks a million Car.

The snake I was thinking of using was a 5/8 or 3/4 100ft elect w both forward and reverse. It has 5 diff heads and I was going to use the smallest one to start.

I watched a video that showed how properly snake in the line by providing/feeding the proper intermittent slack while turning on and off, and retracting periodically as well.

My brother offered a suggestion to first open up the top of the outside drain line, get a flashlight and then w cell ph in hand and daughter upstairs, to flush one of the upstairs toilets that have not had an issue, and to then monitor the water flow. If the vol flow is the same for the 2nd story toilets as the now downstairs that are now not clogged, then it's not a main drain line issue. If the vol of flow is diff, then there's a clog or something causing the slow-down. He said to focus on the speed of flow once it reaches the washout vs the amt of time it takes to get there. But once there, does it all come at once or does it trickle through.

He also said to check the flush holes up under the rim of the toilet seat area...if clogged, then that could possibly lead to bad periodical flushes...

I'll do some further testing, but this on and off clogging of toilets had been happening since we've moved in around Oct 2008. Just recently it has happened where the 2 downstairs toilets have both clogged w in 24 hrs...

Thanks again,
tstex
Old 11-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #15
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,174

I have found foreign objects in toilet traps that should not have been there.

Combs, toothpaste caps, make-up caps, even a toy truck once.

Had to pull the toilet to get that damned comb out, it was a rat-tail comb, and no one knew how it got there.

As for you having all the female company, lucky you.

Enjoy it while you can, they all grow too soon and are gone, until they need something.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement