Toilet Won't Sit Flush To Floor. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 180

Toilet won't sit flush to floor.

I just installed my new Toto one piece and the wall must bow out a bit at the back. It won't sit flush on the ground. I can get the toto manual under it. What are my options? I have a super old cast iron flange that only has one spot for the bolts so I can't move them around. Also, I how do you tell if the wax seal worked? Or was tall enough? When we put then toilet down our bolts kept messing up the wax. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet won't sit flush to floor.-1478967031793.jpg   Toilet won't sit flush to floor.-1478967105657.jpg  
jwiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,604

Re: Toilet won't sit flush to floor.

The toilet should be level for it to function properly.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2016, 11:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,488

Remove the toilet. Lay it on its side and using a straight edge across the toilet base and ruler, measure the depth of the recess the wax ring will be seated in. Adjust the toilet flange height so the wax ring will be crushed 1/4"-3/8" then your toilet will set firmly on the floor.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2016, 06:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,684

Remove the toilet. Sit it on the floor, up against the wall. Measure the distance between the wall or baseboard and the center of the holes in the toilet. Make sure that both sides are equal. Write that distance down. Add about 1/8" for good measure.

Purchase the below items, flange repair ring, a toilet to bowl bolt set, toilet hold down bolts and a new wax ring.

Position the repair ring over the old flange. Insert the toilet hold down bolts. Measure the distance between the wall or baseboard and the hold down bolts. Try to slide the repair ring forward, away from the baseboard, to get the required distance for the hold down bolts. You should be able to do this because you should not need more that 1/8" to 1/4". If you get the required distance between the wall and both bolts, fasten the repair ring in place.

If you can't slide the repair ring forward enough with out interfearing with the flow, rotate the ring until one of the hold down bolts is the correct distance from the wall or baseboard. Fasten the repair ring in place. Then fasten one of the toilet to bowl bolts to the repair ring using the other toilet hold down bolt. Position the tank to bowl bolt the correct distance from the wall and the correct distance from the other toilet hold down bolt. Tighten and then cut of the toilet hold down bolt flush with the nut.

Put the new wax ring on the flange. Press it down slightly to make it stay in place. Then press it down and outward from the center. By pressing the center down and outward you will prevent the horn of the toilet catching on the wax ring and blocking or partially blocking the flow. And you will prevent the wax ring from interfearing with the flow when it is compressed.
I know that the manufacturer of the wax ring says to put it on the toilet. Disregard, put it on the flange.
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet won't sit flush to floor.-repair-kit.jpg  

Last edited by hkstroud; 11-12-2016 at 06:48 PM.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,268

After putting all the parts in place except the wax ring, test fit the toilet. The toilet bottom must not touch the flange or anything fastened on top. Ideally there should be a gap of about 1/4 to 3/8 inches.

If the flange is too high you will need to use shims around the outer perimeter of the toilet.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,268

After putting all the parts in place except the wax ring, test fit the toilet. The toilet bottom must not touch the flange or anything fastened on top. Ideally there should be a gap of about 1/4 to 3/8 inches. Correct any rocking of the toilet now.

If the flange is too high you will need to use shims around the outer perimeter of the toilet.

Toilet rocking will damage the wax ring and require its replacement.
Advertisement