Toilet Supply Wall Valve To Garden Hose?? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Toilet supply wall valve to garden hose??

Hi folks, please pardon me if this sounds like an idiotic newbie question...

Wife is disabled, in a wheelchair, so the new house features a re-e-e-ally big bathroom with a re-e-e-e-ally big shower, I bet we could fit eight people in there...if I were Emperor Caligula, that is. (LOL)

It used to be TWO bathrooms but we cut the wall down and so now the shower is what used to one entire bathroom.
Anyway, because it's big it's a pain to clean and I was looking at the old toilet supply valve which is still sticking out of the wall in the shower area and I thought, "Hmmmm, if I could just hook up a nice garden hose sprayer to that line I could scrub the floor tile and then turn on the hose and spray it all down the shower drain and cut my chore time in half."

Picture the way they would do it if the showers were in a gym, that's what I'm getting at, the janitor scrubs everything and then hoses the whole deal down. Since the whole room is tiled this is a very easy thing to do and I would love to do it that way, makes cleaning the bathroom a five minute job instead of a twenty minute job.

So is it possible to connect an adapter of some kind that makes it possible to use a coiled garden hose and sprayer to the toilet supply valve?

Here's a couple of pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet supply wall valve to garden hose??-toiletvalve1.jpg   Toilet supply wall valve to garden hose??-toiletvalve2.jpg  
JeffHWhittier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2016, 01:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 604

Re: Toilet supply wall valve to garden hose??

You could, but based on what you described and the way the valve sticks out from the shower wall, I would be more concerned about someone hitting that line and causing injury to themselves, or the line. I would cap it
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #3
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,374

There HAS to be an adapter somewhere that will do this. Per google the garden hose connection is 3/4" and you're adapter will need the male connection. Your toilet supply size is either 3/8" or 1/4" (thank you again google), so you might have to buy two and see which one fits.
Bret86844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2016, 01:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,590

It appears the valve is screwed on to the stub out. With that in mind, the valve could be replaced with a T and that would provide a place for the present valve to be re-installed for any other fixture it may need to serve as well as a second new valve to control water to the hose. OR, a pipe coupling could replace the original valve then install a new valve with a standard pipe thread to garden hose adapter.
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret86844 View Post
There HAS to be an adapter somewhere that will do this. Per google the garden hose connection is 3/4" and you're adapter will need the male connection. Your toilet supply size is either 3/8" or 1/4" (thank you again google), so you might have to buy two and see which one fits.

Not a plumber but based on the fact that the toilet valve on the OTHER toilet is much smaller I would guess this has to be a 3/8 inch OD, yes?

So you're saying I would be able to find a 3/8" female to garden hose male?
Now the super dumb question...what size is garden hose?

And would it be smarter to just get a 3/8 toilet supply hose and screw an adapter onto that? (strain relief for pipe?)

And yes I intend to screw a set of bars into the tile to protect against any impact but you have to remember, this shower room is gigantic.
You could park a big motorcycle in here and still have room for two people to shower in comfort.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 258

why a garden hose, they sell chrome hand held shower hoses over 100 inches long, so it will look nice... http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-118-...s=shower+hoses
woodchopper65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,374

I tried looking online and you might need two adapters, a 3/8 to 1/2, then 1/2 to 3/4. Those seem to be the common sizes. I would recommend going to Home Depot and seeing what they've got, and test fit some adapters on hoses and plumbing pipes they have in the store. You WILL figure it out.
Bret86844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:53 PM   #8
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 8,184

Valves like this are readily available. But in 1/2".

Put a tape measure in front of your copper line and take another picture. We might be able to tell you if you have a 1/2 or 3/8 line
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #9

the copper coming out the wall is 1/2 inch pipe, the threading on the valve is also 1/2 inch but for tubing, bigger than the normal 3/8ths..pipe is measured inside diameter, tubing is measured outside diameter..
Old 03-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #10
Plumber

Rewards Points: 172

Your valve looks like a 1/2 compression valve. If so, use a bib like yodaman showed, except it must have a vacuum breaker also to be code compliant.
Yodaman (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 5,590

For gawd sake quit screwing around guessing what size the tubing is. Clean the plaster off and put a poor man's caliper on it. A PMC is an adjustable wrench AKA a Cresent on and snug the jaws then measure the jaw opening.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchopper65 View Post
why a garden hose, they sell chrome hand held shower hoses over 100 inches long, so it will look nice... http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-118-...s=shower+hoses
We already have the shower units, one overhead and one with the hose.
I need something that reaches ALL the WAY into the other area (where the commode is) and then all the way BACK into the shower.
I need high pressure, too.
I want to scrub the floor tile, spray Scrubbing Bubbles on the wall tile and then blast the whole shebang with the hose.

A "shower" head isn't designed for high pressure, it's designed for showering.
Think janitorial duties.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:17 PM   #13
Plumber

Rewards Points: 172

Your floor tile system is probably not water proof like the shower is- might be better to just mop
Old 03-30-2016, 09:40 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 76

So this 1/2" pipe sticking out of the wall is in the new tiled shower? Am I the only one wondering why it was left like that? Why the big hole around it that water can get in? The contractor should have got rid of that pipe before doing the new shower.

As for you garden hose idea, I wouldn't do it. A garden hose will get water everywhere with the high pressure you are talking about. It will splatter off the tile. Is EVERYTHING in your bathroom waterproof? The vanity cabinet? The vanity will wick the water up and be ruined in no time. Any drywall or wood trim in this bathroom? I don't see this being a good idea.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHWhittier View Post
We already have the shower units, one overhead and one with the hose.
I need something that reaches ALL the WAY into the other area (where the commode is) and then all the way BACK into the shower.
I need high pressure, too.
I want to scrub the floor tile, spray Scrubbing Bubbles on the wall tile and then blast the whole shebang with the hose.

A "shower" head isn't designed for high pressure, it's designed for showering.
Think janitorial duties.
the only way that will work without flooding the house is if the entire bathroom floor was built with a floor drain and proper water proofing under the tile..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement