Toilet Still Leaking - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2016, 09:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,238

toilet still leaking

I troubleshot the toilet and did a leak down, and it was leaking from the tank into the bowl as the dyed flowed in...I was the flapper.

I replaced the flapper and then took the old chain/float off the old flapper and installed it exactly how it was on the old flapper on the new one. Turned water back on, flushed it 2-3 times and all worked well. I even put more dye in the tank to test it and no dye leaked in the bowl.

My daughter used the toilet 5 hrs later, and when I went in the bathroom, at a low audible I heard water running near the toilet. Flapper seemed to be sealing well. Flushed a couple of times and same thing; it would fill up the tank w a normal rush of water, then almost cut off except for the low running water sound. I turned off water line and of course water stopped; turned it back on and same low running sound.

When it leaked previously before flapper replaced, you could not hear any water running except maybe every other day and it would cut on for 1-2 seconds loud then cut off. But, when I did leak down originally, it was just leaking slowing from tank to bowl w no sound.

I put some dye into the tube where the sm plastic hose squirts water in. It almost immediately put dye into the t-bowl?

So, did I fix one thing and create another or is this just another problem?

Thank you very much and pls let me know if you have any questions?

Regards,
tstex
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2016, 09:25 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Re: toilet still leaking

There are two ways water can get from the tank into the bowl--

The flapper----and the over flow tube--

You replaced the flapper --have you verified that it has stopped the leak by turning off the water ,after it is filled, and let the tank sit over night?
If the water level is still the same --your flapper is working.

Have you watched the unit fill? Does the water stop before it reaches the top of the over flow tube??

Is the float far enough from the edge of the tank so it never rubs and binds up?

More info needed.
tstex (04-13-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2016, 09:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,216

Check the seat where the flapper closes and make sure that's free of debris. Make sure chain to flapper has enough slack to make the flapper get a good seal to the seat. Sometimes you have to adjust the chain setting on the flush handle to make sure it's in the best position for aligning the flapper with the seat. Sounds like it may just need a little adjusting or you have an incorrect flapper.

Also check and make sure fill hose is not too far down the fill tube;

jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
tstex (04-13-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2016, 09:51 PM   #4

Mike and Jmon,

Thanks a million, you have both provided me great info and a things to do list. you also gave me the correct terminology.

I will put dye into the tank, turn off the water and see if the bowl has any dye in it. If not, then I am dealing w an overflow pipe. I think that is the problem.

As you guys requested and outlined, I will check and test all questions and get back to thur am early.. I appreciate your quick responses above - tstex
The Following User Says Thank You to tstex For This Useful Post:
jmon (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #5

******FIRST UPDATE******

1. water does not fill all the way up to the overflow pipe
2. there is enough slack in the chain so the flapper can seat
3. the float is not rubbing or bound by anything
4. I let the tank fill until the main water shut off [but can still hear the real light water sound] - I turned off the water and shot in a lot of dye into tank. if there is no dye in the bowl and/or the tank level stays the same, then like you said, flapper is good.

Based on what you had me do, I think maybe the float is not going up all the way and it is being stopped or something and that is causing the slow water sound.

If you have any other things I can do now, pls let me know? I did not see any dye in the tank as I did previously in the same time frame when the older flapper was installed.

Thanks again, tstex

Last edited by tstex; 04-13-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:34 PM   #6

You are welcome tstex.

Agree. Fill valve float may need adjusting, cleaning or replacing.

There is a little rubber disk under the fill valve cap that can be replaced. They sell them at the big box stores in package of three for a couple bucks. Sometimes if you remove the cap, remove rubber disk, hold cup over it and flush toilet you can flush out debris. Replace everything and see if that helps.

If it were me, I would just replace the whole fluidmaster fill valve they are about 6-8 dollars at any big box store. That should do it if your dye test proves flapper is good. Just a suggestion.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:51 PM   #7

Thanks Jmon...I think replacing the whole thing is prob best route...this way I'm not doing one piece at a time and compounding the labor and changes for error...if the flapper is working, then I'll change it out. I even have an extra one when I bought 2 of them 5 yrs ago..

Thanks again and I'll post back w results and tell you what I find prior to fix...tstex
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tstex For This Useful Post:
jmon (04-14-2016), oh'mike (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 07:05 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 178

Do you have a regular fluid master type of fill valve? If not sometimes builders used to put whatss called a Watts Governor 80 in one of the toilets instead of an expansion tank on the water heaters. Don't know how new your stuff is, so it's hard to tell.
SHEPLMBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:12 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstex View Post
******FIRST UPDATE******

1. water does not fill all the way up to the overflow pipe
2. there is enough slack in the chain so the flapper can seat
3. the float is not rubbing or bound by anything
4. I let the tank fill until the main water shut off [but can still hear the real light water sound] - I turned off the water and shot in a lot of dye into tank. if there is no dye in the bowl and/or the tank level stays the same, then like you said, flapper is good.

Based on what you had me do, I think maybe the float is not going up all the way and it is being stopped or something and that is causing the slow water sound.

If you have any other things I can do now, pls let me know? I did not see any dye in the tank as I did previously in the same time frame when the older flapper was installed.

Thanks again, tstex
pull up on the float and i bet it will stop, change the fill valve than , only thing left
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
pull up on the float and i bet it will stop, change the fill valve than , only thing left
It would be a good idea to change out the rubber seat inside of the Overflow Valve. It is easy to do and you will learn how the valves works. Sometimes you can just remove the seat and turn it over in a pinch until you can purchase the rubber disc seat. The more a homeowner gets involved in maintenance the better he will be prepared in a pinch...
srloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #11

*****SECOND UPDATE******

Ok, thank you all, here's an update.

The dye from the tank was in the bowl this morning. But here's what really is odd and how does this happen? Currently, when the toilet is flushed and it starts to refill, the question was asked does the water line go all the way to the top of the overflow pipe? The answer is yes and no. After the main water shuts off, you still hear the softer water sound. At this point, the water is 1/4" to 3/8" from the top of the overflow pipe. Then I shut off the water to the toilet. That was last night

This morning the water was to the top of the overflow pipe and the bowl had plenty of dye in it. How did the water continue to rise in the tank and level off w the top of the overflow pipe if the water was completely turned off ??? Did the water continue to flow over the overflow pipe and then down and into the t-bowl, or is the flapper leaking now? Remember, when I originally replaced the flapper, all worked well, shut off fine, no more leaking water sounds and no dye leaked when I tested it again.

next question, is there a way to pull out and clean the rubber seat that the flapper seats onto? If not, what's the best way to clean that to get a good tight and clean fit?

SHEPLMER - I believe I do have the Watts Gov 8: same type design but diff part colors and sizes

Next, where is the little rubber disk under the fill valve cap?

Also, where is the rubber seat for the overflow-valve?

Lastly, when I tried pulling up on the sliding float after the main water stopped, and still heard the lower water leaking sound, the float would not go up any higher. I'm all ears and ready for instruction..Diagrams are real helpful.

Finally, I have 3 more toilets just like this one, so I feel like I need to learn these things inside and out to be prepared for the next one(s) I have 4 girls and there's a lot of flushing and water usage going on. I'm trying not to flush anymore $$$$ from the dwindling bank acct.

Thanks again to all and let me know if you have any questions?

Rgds tstex

Last edited by tstex; 04-14-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:53 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,042

I'd guess your shut off is leaking.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
jmon (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #13

As canarywood stated, could be the shut off valve.

Post a picture of the shut off valve for the toilet so we can see if it's soldered or screwed on. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #14

I would replace that fill valve first. You said you had an extra one anyway. Go from there.

You can clean the rubber seat with a green sponge. Sometimes sediment forms on it and the flapper can't make a good seal. If the rubber seat is dried and cracked it may need replacing as srloren said back in post 10. Have to inspect it to make sure.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #15

Thank you guys...the shut off is a compressing fitting type and it's obviously screwed on...I think the fill valve needs to be replaced and I'll clean the rubber seal that the flapper seats onto Here are just a few basic questions:

1. how do you figure the height of the adjustable fill valve?
2. is the idea to get the fill valve to shut off when the water level is right below the overflow tube?

I have a fluidmaster kit already and this is what I'll use.

Any other questions, pls advise, tstex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement