Toilet "ring" Impossible To Remove - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Druidia

Old 07-04-2017, 06:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,996

Toilet "ring" impossible to remove

People,

Normally I expect the ring in a toilet to be a buildup of hard water, or iron, which I simply remove with acid. But this ring will not react to acid. Is it etching of the porcelain? If so, how could etching happen with just water?
papereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2017, 07:18 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,532

Re: Toilet "ring" impossible to remove

What are you doing using acid in a toilet?? If it is etching, then you are going to have to replace the toilet eventually. Removing the ring can be done with milder things, like Hydrogen Peroxide, Coke, Vinegar. Yeah, they are all "acids", but not aggressive acids.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
papereater (07-04-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2017, 07:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,964

Post a picture so we can see what your seeing.
Lots of different ways to deal with it.
Primus stone, Bar Keepers Friend, CLR, if it's rust stains, "The Works" works great.
If your getting stain at all your fixtures I'd be getting the water tested to figure out what type water treatment it needs.
papereater (07-04-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2017, 08:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 281

I use powder cleanser and scrub during my weekly cleaning of our toilet. That (a bit of abrasive - just like using BarKeepers Friend) works well for regular maintenance. However, grime/stain still accumulates/develops on the slope (just under the rim). So, once or twice a year, I use sandpaper. Light sanding will remove stubborn "stains" on a toilet surface.

If you're just pouring acid but you don't SCRUB your toilet, your toilet is going to end up dirty. Ditto for those blue discs that people like leaving inside the toilet water tank. They gunk up the tank. I had to scrub years of that blue thing off the tank when I moved in. People think blue discs, spraying or pouring something down the toilet will magically remove grime and stains. They don't. Elbow grease/Scrubbing is what gets them off.
Nik333 likes this.
Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Druidia For This Useful Post:
papereater (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 09:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,378

If the water is etching the toilet for gawd sake don't let the dog have access to the toilet water.

Recommended buy a janitorial service, we've used 23% acid toilet bowl cleaner on toilets for a couple of decades without any harmful effects to my knowledge.

If your toilet is truly etched it may be time for a new toilet.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
papereater (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #6

Thanks, people, but not so bad to warrant replacing a otherwise good toilet. Those products yous list above (CLR, etc) ARE acids. Thats what I meant. Nothiong else will dissolve calcium deposits. iron gets reduced ("neutralized, for laymans term) with an organic acid like oxalic. OR strong muriatic. COMMON Acid does not dissolve porcellain- only strong bases like lye.

A photo will not present itself well- too difficult to see.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druidia View Post
I use powder cleanser and scrub during my weekly cleaning of our toilet. That (a bit of abrasive - just like using BarKeepers Friend) works well for regular maintenance. However, grime/stain still accumulates/develops on the slope (just under the rim). So, once or twice a year, I use sandpaper. Light sanding will remove stubborn "stains" on a toilet surface.

If you're just pouring acid but you don't SCRUB your toilet, your toilet is going to end up dirty. Ditto for those blue discs that people like leaving inside the toilet water tank. They gunk up the tank. I had to scrub years of that blue thing off the tank when I moved in. People think blue discs, spraying or pouring something down the toilet will magically remove grime and stains. They don't. Elbow grease/Scrubbing is what gets them off.
Thanks, druid, but Yikes- sandpaper??! That will destroy the porcellain finish for sure! Also, "elbow grease' does not remove calcium deposits- acid will DISSOLVE them. Meaning, no scrubbing. Elbow grease I use for grease/grime/soap scum (from talc/body oils, etc) with force/scrubbing. Acid here is useless.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #8

I still dont know what caused the ring. Oh well.........not worth sending the bowl to a lab.....lol
Old 07-04-2017, 11:13 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by papereater View Post
Thanks, druid, but Yikes- sandpaper??! That will destroy the porcellain finish for sure! Also, "elbow grease' does not remove calcium deposits- acid will DISSOLVE them. Meaning, no scrubbing. Elbow grease I use for grease/grime/soap scum (from talc/body oils, etc) with force/scrubbing. Acid here is useless.
Sandpaper + LIGHT pressure (keep wet) does not mar the porcelain surface.

Yes, acid will dissolve mineral deposits IF the ring on your toilet is due to mineral deposits. You don't even know what the ring is. How can people tell if you don't post pics?
Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druidia View Post
Sandpaper + LIGHT pressure (keep wet) does not mar the porcelain surface.

Yes, acid will dissolve mineral deposits IF the ring on your toilet is due to mineral deposits. You don't even know what the ring is. How can people tell if you don't post pics?
Tanks, druid, but a photo will never come out sharp/useful. Also, I am not photogenic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement