Toilet Replacement From 10 Inch To 12 Inch Rough-in? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 254

Toilet Replacement From 10 Inch to 12 inch Rough-in?

We would like to replace our original toilet (circa 1983) with a new toilet made by Delta - Model # C43903T-WH

It was only after purchasing the new toilet that I realized our original has a 10 inch rough-in and the new one is 12 inch rough-in.

Is there a specific offset flange available that you recommend that will allow the toilet to be relocated away from the wall?

Looks like I can return the new one and special order one for a ten inch or find a way to install it.

Your thoughts?
Thanks
Mike
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 794

Is the current flange PVC or cast iron? Do you have access to change the flange?

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beepster For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (02-02-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,854

Yes.... there is an adjustable offset good for 2" at your local BB.

(Funny... last time I used one was to go from 12 to 10 .... Had a very tight bathroom and had to change toilet orientation).... had to order a special 10" toilet... not much choice)
MT Stringer (02-02-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the help.

The flange is PVC pipe.

After talking to a licensed plumber locally, I think we are going to look for a ten inch replacement online. I have seen a couple of videos on You Tube, so I see it is possible. I am just not sure it can be done in our case. Dang it.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #5

We returned the new toilet. My wife is going to look for one from the BB stores online. I know HD has several.

Well, we got some experience. Not having any plumbing experience, I never gave any thought to the fact that it wouldn't fit. With the millions of older homes in existence, I don't see why replacements aren't readily available off the shelf. After all, we replaced one toilet in 2009 with no problem. I guess something magical happened in the years since then.

Thanks for the help. Onward and upward.
Mike
Old 02-02-2015, 10:27 PM   #6
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,012

The difference between a 10 and a 12 is the tank not the bowl unless it's a one piece on most manufactures

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:31 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,130

Javiles is right. You can buy toilets with an adjustable tank (I have them, from Home Depot). Other than having to positioning the tank, they install just like any other toilet.

My toilets are Glacier Bay, a HD store brand. They were inexpensive, but a recent consumer magazine article rated them higher than some costing three times as much. The only thing about them I didn't like was the cheap plastic seat they came with. That is easily replaced.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 582

get the 10 rough in you will be glad you did.....off set flanges imho suck...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 10:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
get the 10 rough in you will be glad you did.....off set flanges imho suck...
Tks. Got one ordered.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #10
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

True story: In 2013 I did a bathroom renovation which included a new toilet. The original toilet was a 10" offset so I went looking for a 10" toilet. No luck at the big apron stores nor the locally owned builders supply store. Off to one of the two plumbing wholesale houses and I'm told that the find State of Georgia no longer allows 10" toilets to be sold. Well what is a person to do? The salesman at the wholesale place told me there is a way around this. The finer State of Alabama does allow the sale of 10" toilets and this supply house has a store just 90 miles from where I am standing. All I have to do it to buy the toilet from the Alabama store and pay for it with my credit card which will show the sale being made in Alabama. When the milk truck (supply truck) runs in the next day or two the toilet will mysteriously appear here in my town. NO paperwork on this transfer to another store. Problem solved, no offset flanges to deal with, no cutting and re-routing of cast iron pipe.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:40 PM   #11
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
True story: In 2013 I did a bathroom renovation which included a new toilet. The original toilet was a 10" offset so I went looking for a 10" toilet. No luck at the big apron stores nor the locally owned builders supply store. Off to one of the two plumbing wholesale houses and I'm told that the find State of Georgia no longer allows 10" toilets to be sold. Well what is a person to do? The salesman at the wholesale place told me there is a way around this. The finer State of Alabama does allow the sale of 10" toilets and this supply house has a store just 90 miles from where I am standing. All I have to do it to buy the toilet from the Alabama store and pay for it with my credit card which will show the sale being made in Alabama. When the milk truck (supply truck) runs in the next day or two the toilet will mysteriously appear here in my town. NO paperwork on this transfer to another store. Problem solved, no offset flanges to deal with, no cutting and re-routing of cast iron pipe.
Any WAG as to Georga's logic/rationale...???
Old 02-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Any WAG as to Georga's logic/rationale...???
I am curious also. What's the big deal? How does someone upgrade to a modern toilet if none are available? That I just don't understand.

We ordered one from Lowe's. It is a basic toilet with no additional features. Be here in about ten days.

Something had to happen in the industry since 2009 when we replaced one of ours with a Jacuzzi branded 10 inch rough in model. At least here in Southeast Texas.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:43 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Maybe they did not have one in stock but still wanted to make the sale?
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #14
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,012

HEADLINES man has showdown with police after trafficking and installing illegal toilet details at 11

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (02-05-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 11:00 AM   #15

And now for an update. The new toilet was shipped to Lowe's. We picked it up and called a plumber to install it. It works great and she who must be obeyed is a happy camper.

Whew! Glad to be through with that project.
The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-16-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement