Toilet Leak Or Just Bad Aim? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By giansean
  • 1 Post By Bud9051
  • 1 Post By Windows on Wash

Old 05-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 560

Toilet leak or just bad aim?

Hi All,

I am trying to lock down an issue I'm seeing w/ two toilets. The first was most recently installed about two months ago and has not been problematic until recently.

I first noticed the condition a couple of weeks back - the grout lines at 6 and 3 (looking from the front) had darkened. I first assumed that my 10 year old son just had bad aim and a tissue threaded under the base (it's not caulked) came back wet dark and pee-flavored. Problem solved, so I thought. I dried it out and cleaned what I could and called it a day.

Flash forward however it does not seem to be getting dryer. I left a tissue under there today and it wicked up a bunch more juice. I figured it was new wax ring time but then also wondered why the water wasn't a little more diluted than it was.

To add to the fun, I also noticed a similar line at the six of our 2nd toilet (this has been working for more than half a year now. My son also uses this one fairly often and fishing more tissue yielded the exact same results. Its also worth noting that we have been living back in the house full time for only about a month - before that it was mostly me using the toilets, and I have fabulous aim :P. So it seems likelier that it's his aim that is the problem but if so, what's the half life of pee under a toilet? Wouldn't it eventually dry up? Also wouldn't there be some other indications of spash besides the grout lines?

I guess the easiest way to confirm is just ban him from this toilet for a few weeks and see what happens. Can't think of any other way to confirm bad ring or crack w/o pulling up the whole toilet, or maybe a dye test - but I don't know if that will permanently color the grout.

Thx for any advice!
Nik333 likes this.
giansean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to giansean For This Useful Post:
Nik333 (05-30-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2016, 03:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,808

Re: Toilet leak or just bad aim?

A new wax ring is about $5.00 and takes about 1/2 hour to change.
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2016, 04:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,268

Somewhat related but moved my dad into his own garage apartment, rather small but he loved it. He mentioned that the toilet was leaking and upon inspection I found urine around the base. Cleaned it up and used silicone caulk around the base to isolate whether it was coming from under or bad aim. Problem returned and it became obvious his aim was while sitting down, peeing between toilet seat and the bowl. Hard to instruct ones dad on potty procedures but I managed and the problem went away.

This may not be related but it might.

Bud
Nik333 likes this.
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2016, 04:22 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 12,478

Plenty of men have been the reason for misdiagnosis on a toilet.

Like stated earlier, its a flange or operator issue.
Nik333 likes this.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement