Toilet Leak - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 180

Toilet leak

I moved into my house a few months ago. The inspection, back in august, thought that the wax seal on our toilet might need replacing since it there was a little damp spot in the crawl space. I just got around to pulling it and there is moisture outside the ring. I have no idea how bad it is since there is tile. My plan was to let it dry out prior to reinstalling the toilet. Is there anything else I should do? This is only the second time I've replaced a wax ring and I really know little about these things. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet leak-1421704917186.jpg   Toilet leak-1421704931014.jpg   Toilet leak-1421704948610.jpg  
jwiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

You need to check the floor under the toilet.If there was water leaking it could be wet or rotted.This needs to be replaced before a new toilet and wax ring is installed.If there is moisture in the floor it will only lead to more problems.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 19,008

Looks like you removed the wax, but left the plastic ring in place.
It needs to come out.
mj12 (02-01-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

If the toilet does not sit properly, you may be better off using a Waxless ring instead of the Bee's Wax ring.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
mj12 (02-01-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #5

How do I check the floor with tile there? What would I look for? Do I need to have my husband go in the crawl space? Joecaption... I bought just a wax ring, wouldn't that go over the red plate? I actually think it is metal. I've never heard of a wax less ring, but I'll look into it. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2015, 07:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 582

to me it looks like the flange is setting below the finish floor ...make sure you have a jumbo wax ring ....maybe the old seal was not thick enough to seal properly...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 07:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiens View Post
I moved into my house a few months ago. The inspection, back in august, thought that the wax seal on our toilet might need replacing since it there was a little damp spot in the crawl space. I just got around to pulling it and there is moisture outside the ring. I have no idea how bad it is since there is tile. My plan was to let it dry out prior to reinstalling the toilet. Is there anything else I should do? This is only the second time I've replaced a wax ring and I really know little about these things. Thanks!
If you position your toilet without any wax ring, does it sit solidly or does it rock? If it rocks, the wax ring seal will be broken. The toilet must not rock at all for a good installation. Don't think that the two bolts will stop the toilet from rocking, they won't.

Regarding height of wax ring to use, you can measure from the top of the flange to the floor. Turn the bowl upside down and use a straight edge to measure the distance to where the wax ring will seal against the bottom of the bowl. Those two measurements combined should tell you whether to get a standard wax ring or an thicker wax ring.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homerepairguy For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-19-2015), MTN REMODEL LLC (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 10:11 PM   #8
Plumber

Rewards Points: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
You need to check the floor under the toilet.If there was water leaking it could be wet or rotted.This needs to be replaced before a new toilet and wax ring is installed.If there is moisture in the floor it will only lead to more problems.

Quote:
How do I check the floor with tile there? What would I look for? Do I need to have my husband go in the crawl space? Joecaption... I bought just a wax ring, wouldn't that go over the red plate? I actually think it is metal. I've never heard of a wax less ring, but I'll look into it. Thanks!
The sub floor looks pretty darn wet. You need to leave the toilet off and dry or repair the sub floor.
Go into the crawl space for a look-see for damage. The plywood needs to be structurally sound as it is the anchor point for the flange

If you use a bowl wax, get one with a plastic horn embedded in it- it's added insurance.
If you use a waxless ring, the base of the toilet needs to have all the old wax removed first
MTN REMODEL LLC (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #9
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,896

Quote:
Sure looks like the toilet flange to me also....(red metal plate).

I like your idea of letting it dry out (then poke with a screw driver to insure your subfloor is not just plain rotted out... then measure as the post above and insure you have an extra 1/2 inch of wax (by either buying the fat wax ring or stacking two rings) and reset the toilet carefully.

You should have to sit on it as you set it and "feel" the wax settle out.

That toilet flkange does not look rusted out to me... and while your floor may be damp... my guess it is still fine after it drys out.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #10

We have let the toilet dry for a week. My husband went into the crawl space and this is what he saw. I have yet to take a light in the bathroom and look at the area around the flange. Our overhead light is dead so I will take another picture later today. We think the floor looks ok. What do you guys think? Is that the subfloor or do I need to look under the tile too? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet leak-toilet.jpg  
Old 01-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 6,652

Just get one of these http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/wax-free-toilet-seal and be done with it. Make sure you remove all traces of Bee's wax from the bottom of the toilet bowl (Isopropyl Alcohol and muscle power works), along with cleaning the flange (screwdriver inside of an old T-Shirt, or Shop towels).

Your problem was from incorrectly installed toilet/wax ring. The Wax-Free should solve the issue.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,952

Also remove the nails they used to secure your flange with and install wood screws.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-26-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 4

The worst toilet is the one which goes right against the wall, where you can't see it whether is leaking or not.
Looks like your problem has been resolved by others
JamesMcKimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:16 PM   #14

Thank you all very much for your help. I was hoping to buy the wax free ring this weekend. I went to measure the diameter of my pipe and it is 2.5" on the inside. Is there a 2.5 wax free option? Is that the right way to measure?

Thanks as always.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:34 AM   #15
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

I have not had good luck at all with that style waxless ring. As mentioned, secure that red metal ring with good screws. Finish removing that black plastic center piece from inside the red metal ring.
Once that flange is secured a jumbo wax ring should solve your problems. The style waxless seal mentioned above tend to leak down the road. That glue is not as strong as you would think. If you reread everyones comments it is all the exact info you need to fix this problem. But do be sure to dry fit the toilet first and check for rocking.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement