Toilet Flushes Erratically - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robert22

Old 05-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Wink

Toilet flushes erratically

I had a problem with the main toilet in our house. Sometimes it would flush fine, but it often would not flush; the tank would empty properly but the bowl would not flush down, it would just lazily swirl around.

I checked a number of forums, including this one and got quite a range of ideas to try. The most common being that the vent stack was partially or completely plugged. That didn't seem right to me as the tub and sink in that bath all worked and drained just fine. I climbed up on the roof and looked down the vent, but it looked clear. I dragged the garden hose up and stuck it down the vent and let it run full blast for a few minutes, but it still seemed fine, so I concluded that was not the problem.

One (or more) person said to check the holes under the rim to see if they were partly plugged up. I used a drill bit just by my hand (NOT with the drill!) and augered out the holes as much as I could and that seemed to make a slight difference. So then I decided to up that ante and bought a gallon of Muratic acid at a hardware store.

I poured the acid into the overflow tube in the tank. I poured about 1 liter at first and waited about 10 minutes, then another liter and waited again. Finally a third liter and I got a whole lot of brownish debris pouring down into the bowl. Ever since the toilet has worked like new.

I hope this may help somebody else who has this nagging problem. We live in a known hard water area, so that is what pushed me to try the acid.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robert22 For This Useful Post:
Mike Milam (05-09-2017), Nik333 (05-09-2017), SeniorSitizen (05-09-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2017, 01:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 777

Re: Toilet flushes erratically

How old is this toilet. If you flip the tank lid up it should be in the casting. Sometimes they just get old and full of build up that it is time to replace.
ct18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
erractic toilet , lazy toilet , poor flushing toilet