Toilet Flapper Chain Slack - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ZTMAN

Old 08-17-2016, 08:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,081

Toilet flapper chain slack

I have a 10 year-old toilet (American Standard).

For the longest time I've had a problem getting it to flush properly. Sometimes it flushes on the first try, sometimes it doesn't and I have to give it a second try.

After doing some research on the Web, I noticed that there were a number of suggestions that the flapper chain needs to have some slack.

My toilet's chain seem to be quite tight. I therefore gave it some slack and noticed that the flushing got better. But I wouldn't say that the problem is 100% solved.

My questions:

1) When it is said that the chain needs some slack, is this when you are not pressing on the toilet handle?

2) Or should there be some slack even when you've pressed on the handle while flushing?

3) How much slack do you think is ideal or should I simply continue to tinker with the chain until I find the right amount?
stripedbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2016, 09:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 606

Re: Toilet flapper chain slack

Take a look at your flush lever. Some times they get pushed down over time. Loosen up the plastic nut on the inside of the tank, rotate the lever up a little and tighten the nut.
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2016, 06:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 18

There cannot be slack when flushing or the flapper wont lift. The slack is when you are not touching anything. You need a little slack in the chain to ensure that the flapper can seat itself fully on the flush valve opening. Not so much slack that it could get caught under the lip of the flapper as the flapper is attempting to close.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,081

ZTMAN & jeffmattero76,

I have had the toilet lid off the tank for a while now, carefully observing how the flushing is going as I adjust the flapper chain length.

What has been very interesting to watch is how my toilet has really improved in terms of flushing since I started adjusting the flapper chain.

However, I would not say that the flushing problem is now fully solved.

What I've noticed is that the flapper stays open until the water is almost fully drained. Usually it flushes now.

But I've also noticed that when I make a big deposit in the toilet in the morning and I flush the toilet sometimes is not able to complete a flush.

I'm attaching 2 photos below. The first photo shows the water level in the tank before I flush. The second photo is of the water level right before the flapper goes down.

If you have any feedback please don't be shy. I want to hear from you!
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet flapper chain slack-toilet3.jpg   Toilet flapper chain slack-toilet4.jpg  

Last edited by stripedbass; 08-21-2016 at 02:18 PM.
stripedbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:40 PM   #5

It's hard for me to tell buy the pictures.

First, when the tank is full, the water level should be about 1/2" to 1" below the top of your overflow tube (the center of the picture).

Second, i always hook the top of the chain to the middle hole on the flush lever.

Also, some toilets are designed so that when flushing #1 only one flush is needed. However, when flushing #2 you need two flushes. This is to conserve water.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 606

Why isn't your flapper mounted to the fill tube?
jeffmattero76 likes this.
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTMAN View Post
Why isn't your flapper mounted to the fill tube?
Good eyes, i missed that!!!

The flapper will have two ears with holes in them. The bottom of the overflow tube has two nubs. Tje holes in the flapper ears should go over those nubs. When the flapper opens it will open against that overflow tube.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:15 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,666

I've never seen such a strange flapper set up, but in pic #1 it looks as if the chain is laying on the bottom of the tank. If so way too much slack. Adjust the chain so when the flapper is down the mid portion of the chain can be moved side ways about a half inch with very light pressure that doesn't move the flapper even one smidgen.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement