Toilet Flange Not Connected To Floor - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Toilet flange not connected to floor

I needed to replace the wax ring as area around the toilet seemed dirty and toilet was rocking a tiny bit. It was grouted by previous home owner. When I took out the toilet I see that the closet flange thing is not connected to concrete floor. I can move the metal flange by rotating it. When I look into the holes where the toilet bolts go I see what seems like that there is a big hole and then there is the toilet black ABS plastic pipe in the center. I would have thought that the surrounding area around the central pipe would be all concrete and the flange will be bolted to it. The floor is a tile floor. Here is a picture but it is hard to see what I am describing.

I can't think of anyway to attach the flange unless I remove the existing one and somehow fill the surrounding area around the toilet pipe with concrete mix or something else and then put some screws from the flange into this newly formed area. Any suggestions?

Last edited by rookie350z; 03-06-2016 at 07:06 PM.
rookie350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 07:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,776

What's under it? Slab floor?
See all those empty holes? That's where it was suppost to be screwed down.
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 07:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,652

You need to raise it with an extension and also attach to the floor to keep it from moving and possibly breaking the DWV from the Closet Flange.

If you use a No Wax Ring, then you can get away with not having to use the extra ring on the flange. Without the flange attached to the floor, the toilet is always going to move, regardless of the screws holding it to the flange.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 114

Personally I would set the toilet flange slots at the right location, make sure the drain is taped completely shut, than fill in the void underneath with a concrete slurry. Keep the toilet flange slots clear so you can still use the flange. once the concrete is at the the right level put in tapcons through the holes and let the concrete dry, it'll be completely solid. Just remember keep the concrete out of the drain and get the concrete out of the keyslot holes when finished.
Chrisathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #5

Yes, there is slab underneath. I just watched this video which might help in my case.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rookie350z For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (03-07-2016), oh'mike (03-07-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #6

It is all empty space. Think like a 6-7" inch hole covering almost the entire width of the metal flange say 6 inch deep with a drain in the center. Not sure why someone did it this way. It looks like a pipe inside a pipe as the sides of the bigger hole seem smooth if I look with a flash light.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:54 AM   #7
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

If pouring grout into the gap is not a good option---a flat steel repair flange might work.
They have tabs with holes that are wide enough to anchor into the tile beyond the gap.

I would try to pour a cement grout first---see post #4--chrisathome offered a good solution.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #8

Follow up, so I should put some sort cement slurry through the holes in the flange and put screws in there till everything is set? Wouldn't it be hard to remove it at later time? Any brand product that I should look ok? Sorry I am totally new to all this. Thanks in advance.

We are planning to change tiles in this bathroom and I was thinking I should take out the existing flange and see what is down there and then fill it. And then put new flange and drive in screws into newly filled concrete. Do I need to worry about new concrete around the drain or just dump making sure nothing goes into drain and make it all nice level.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #9
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

That flange is glued into an elbow--so removing it might mean breaking up the concrete in order to change the elbow---that is a lot of work that is not needed until you have exhausted all remedies---

look in the concrete section of your local store---you will find 'grout' which is a cement product without stones--you mix it to a pour-able consistency and work that into the gap---then clear out the slots and insert screws---
Old 03-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 564

I've used hydraulic cement before and it worked good. It dries very fast as well. And it can be poured
BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BayouRunner For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #11

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to rookie350z For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-07-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement