Toilet Flange Help Needed - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 32

Toilet Flange Help Needed

Hi,

I'm on a concrete slab and have an offset flange. The previous owner had the toilet cemented, grouted in place. Yes, it was a complete disgusting mess when I got it out.

Anyway, I'm going to be installing a Kohler skirted toilet so it does not need the flange bolts to hold the toilet in place, but will utilize lag bolts to hold it down.

The flange is in really rough shape as you can see from the images below. While trying to remove one of the flange bolts (it was cemented in also) I tapped it with a hammer to loosen it a bit so I could rotate it and lift it out, and a whole section of the flange fell away.

What are my options here? Will I still be able to get a wax ring to seal on this? Any advice at all is welcome. Also, as you can see, I am about to start tiling, I imagine I should hold off on tiling that area in case drastic measures are called for.

Thanks in advance!
Karl
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet Flange Help Needed-20160502_230216.jpg   Toilet Flange Help Needed-20160502_230149.jpg   Toilet Flange Help Needed-20160502_231807.jpg  
Kamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2016, 11:34 AM   #2
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 8,188

Re: Toilet Flange Help Needed

IMO, I think you will be fine. I would buy 2 wax rings. One with the rubber throat and one without. Use some of wax from the one without to fill the chipped area. I normally strap on rubber gloves and smear and seat the wax ring thoroughly, in lieu of the just setting ring and pushing the toilet down over it.

The master plumbers will be along soon with some ideas.
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yodaman For This Useful Post:
Kamy (05-02-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #3

Update.

So the toilet I'm going to install is the Kohler Persuade "Curv", which does not use the flange bolts to hold it in place. I had originally looked at the standard Kohler Persuade toilet installation instructions. However the "Curv" model is slightly different in installation, likely because it is a chair height model. This model does use the flange bolts, not to hold the toilet in place, but to hold a "trapway" in place that you then position the toilet over. I've attached a pic from the manual to show what I am talking about.

I am going to have to somehow replace that other flange t-bolt. I imagine there is some way to repair this flange so I can replace that other bolt. I'm concerned about the height of the flange though. What would you think the maximum height the flange can be above the level of the tile?

I tried calling Kohler, they were not a lot of help, all they do is look through the instruction manual, and the manual does not mention the flange at all other than to say you need to replace the wax ring on the flange if you move the bowl.
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet Flange Help Needed-persuade.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,374

When replacing my toilet, same thing happened. 1947 flange broke off. This is what I used: Toilet Flange Adapter
Old 05-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret86844 View Post
When replacing my toilet, same thing happened. 1947 flange broke off. This is what I used: Toilet Flange Adapter

I don't think that will work for me, as this is an offset flange, buried in the concrete floor. Here's a better image showing the offset. I am seriously hoping I am not going to have to jackhammer this thing out
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet Flange Help Needed-20160503_044037.jpg  
Old 05-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,234

Best to wait for the master plumbers to respond, they may be able to give you some advice.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
Kamy (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
Breakin' Stuff

Oh ok. In any case, look around online or go to the hardware store. There are LOTS of options for toilet flanges. And below is a video showing the installation of a different type of flange. I found it helpful for me even though I ended up using a different type.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #8

Thanks Bret86844, helpful video. I can only hope this will be as easy as the flange replacement in the video! I'm going to wait until a a master plumber chimes in though, and will hold off on mortaring in my tile too (all cut and ready to go).
Old 05-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #9
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

That flange looks like it is to high. Best to wait and dry fit the toilet to see if it rocks. I new this guy that cut a spacer out of lexan and set the edge of the toilet down on that.
They make these flat stainless steel rings that I bolt to the flange. Then the toilet bolts to that. I guess in your case you will not need to bolt the toilet to the flange.
As a landlord I silicone the bottom of the toilet when the flange is destroyed. Not as bad as it sounds. Would be nice to jack hammer this all up and put a nice plastic flange in there. Even with the tile
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
That flange looks like it is to high.... Would be nice to jack hammer this all up and put a nice plastic flange in there.
It is a little high, less than a quarter inch on one side, about a full quarter inch, maybe 3/8", on the other. And yea, i'm afraid I may have to jackhammer this thing out. I haven't mortared the tile down yet, it's all cut and ready to go though.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,866

I wouldn't worry about it. On average 50% of those type toilets do not seal air tight anyways. They always fail a final 1 inch water column when installed in new construction.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
They always fail a final 1 inch water column when installed in new construction.
I have no idea what that means
Old 05-02-2016, 06:13 PM   #13
Breakin' Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamy View Post
I have no idea what that means
lol, it's a measurement of pressure. For reference, 1 psi = 26.6 inches water column. So it's not a lot of pressure.
Kamy (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 06:22 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,866

They tend to leak sewer smell.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #15
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sioux-Chi...6-MR/202274075

I bolt these to the existing flange, or through the flange into the concrete. I then install a gerber viper toilet, shim if needed, then I caulk around the entire base, including the back.

On rentals I install a really long flexible supply line because I have had tenants tear out toilets due to their enormous size. I never have leaks or the sewer smell doing it this way
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement