Toilet Distance From Bell To Base - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 109

Toilet distance from bell to base

In process of building bathroom in basement I'm working on. Just tiled the floor and installed the closet flange. Flange is on top of tile, and I'm not looking to debate if better on top or even with. It is on top. Closet flange is PVC drain and Stainless steel ring. Sits up about 3/8" inch higher than tile. I have not bought a toilet yet.

My question is under the toilet what is the distance from the face of the bell/drain/hole whatever you call it to the base of the toilet that will be resting on the floor tile. Being that the flange sits about 3/8" above the tile and the wax ring is probably about 1-1.5" thick I'm hoping that there is at least 5/8" of an inch gap on a standard toilet so that there is enough room to compress the wax ring and not bottom the toilet out on the closet flange. Anyone know? I check toilet drawings for in stock toilets at HD website but it only gives basic dimensions and not this one I'm looking for. Thanks
Olcrazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 09:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,938

I would suggest you just get the bottom and dry fit the toilet. If it doesn't sit on the floor try another brand.

Why did your flange end up not sitting on the tile itself?
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 09:32 PM   #3

The flange does sit on the tile. Once I get the toilet I can flip it and run a level and just measure the distance, at 3/8" it will bottom out so it it needs to be 1/2" or larger. The closet flange is resting on top of the tile, see the picture below. I know some people install the flange first and tile around it. I decided to tile first and then drop the flange in securing it through the tile into the concrete floor under the tile. Here is a pic of what I'm working with.
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet distance from bell to base-image-1288666925.jpg  

Last edited by Olcrazy1; 01-11-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 09:34 PM   #4

View from a bit further away
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet distance from bell to base-image-2067621388.jpg  
Old 01-11-2015, 09:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 582

don't know what your worried about...looks to me that any commode with a standard bowl wax with horn will work....good job..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 09:47 PM   #6

Thanks. Just wanted to be sure that the bell was not on the same plane as the base. I don't see enough of these to know and only way to find out is to buy one and bring it home which I will in due time. Need to finish up the bathroom first.
The Following User Says Thank You to Olcrazy1 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 09:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 582

the bell your talking about will insert if needed into the opening of flange ...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 10:17 PM   #8
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 18,428

I just recently did two toilets in my house.

The Flange does sit on top of the floor. I have the same one....except it's black vs white (not sure why the differences by location)

Make sure you have blocking under it for the screws to screw into. I used 2 1/2" SS screws.

I installed Toto toilets, but any of the new ones will fit fine.

Note: that knock out plate that is for pressure testing....when you are ready to install the toilet you will remove that. There is also a ring in there that may not come out with the knock out. If you don't remove that inner ring, the toilet will not sit flush.

Don't be afraid to test fit before you use the actual wax ring.

One little trick I figured out. I marked the center point on the floor and on the front of the bowl. It makes it a lot easier to set the toilet.

I'm also one of those that puts a bead of silicone around the bottom of the bowl....let it set for about 45 min and then put into place. If you have boys, it prevents their 'misses' from going under the bowl and fermenting.

Leave about a 1" gap in the back of the bowl. That way if you have a leak, you will see water back there and know where it's coming from.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #9
Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

You have installed the lowest profile flange I know of.
I see no reason for concern
oh'mike (01-12-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #10
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,012

outlet is parallel to the outer rim line of most toilets if your flange is set correctly the bell will sit inside and below the flange rim, you should be able to set the toilet with out a wax seal flush it and if its lined up correctly you'll have no leaks, the wax is actually to seal off gases and not water.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,938

That is a properly installed flange a very nice job.. Should have no problem with any toilet.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement