Tiolet Leaking After Replacing - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 235

Tiolet Leaking After Replacing

had new laminate flooring installed and I just slapped the toilet back on.

Initially it was leaking around the right edge of the base(if one is facing toilet). I took off the tank and as it was easier to use and maneuver was able to feel like its on proper now. No more leaks around base.. so I threw the tank back and got it all finalized as if done. However NOW its a slow leak down in the basement directly at the base of the big waste pipe..

What gives?? anyone have some suggestions?

Not a plumber or real DIY, just took it apart myself and have been reading on google.

New floor is 5 times as thick as the old stuff(laminate v/s linoleum) but the base is still about 4/5 mm above the new floor..

My thoughts is..

1. get a new wax ring?

2. Get one of those toilet flange extenders..

What do yall think? Also what about the bolts.. as they reach now to the toilet but if I add an extender.. they will not.

let me know!

oNe

P.s. Called local plumbers and asked for a quote on new wax ring install they are all quoting me a little under $200 and thats with me removing the toilet.. SHEESH!
Sean Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 14

Toilet

Sounds like your wax is shot, you must replace it, and also put an extra wax ring on the new one, now there are two types one has a black shoot that fits inside the flange and the other is just a wax ring this one goes on top of after putting them on the floor flange gently reset the toilet then, now this may sound strange but sit on the toilet backwards to seal the wax, until the toilet is flush with the floor, tighten the bolts, connect the supply and fill er up, flush and check for leaks.
JC Plumbing Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,928

Make sure the wax is warmed up fully.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,960

Never never ever should have installed a laminate floor in a bathroom !!!
That one wet event may be enough to cause it to delaminate, and mold form under it.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:00 PM   #5
Plumber

Rewards Points: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That one wet event may be enough to cause it to delaminate, and mold form under it.
laminate flooring is quite common in bathrooms and kitchens these days
MTN REMODEL LLC (03-05-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 05:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,936

As an old timer, I would never take a toilet off and replace it without putting in a new was ring....and these days it is one with the rubber funnel inside. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #7

3 questions...

1. Really??hat simple huh, just need a new WAX ring but I think ur right as its a slow leak..

2. How would I know if I need the flange extender kit or not? currently the flange rises about quarter inch above the floor.. However I don't get that satisfaction of "FEELING" the toilet sit on the flange.. but maybe not because of the wax ring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
How should I dry it to avoid mold.. ?? Hair dryer suffice or a fan blowing air on it all night?

appreciate it!

oNe
Old 03-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 16

Just install the wax ring with the insert and put a regular wax ring on top of it so you have them stacked. When you set the new toilet you should feel the wax ring gush out a bit. After you tighten down the bolts flush over and over to see if there is a leak. As far as the wood laminate I agree that you should not install that in wet areas. Its okay if you spill water on them and wipe it up immediately but if you have standing water sit on it over night you will wake up to a buckled floor. Tile would be the way to go. Set a fan on your floor and if you can stick a shim betweeen the flooring and subfloor to try and get as much airflow under there as possible. Good luck!
FullSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 6,312

With a new wax ring that's an inch thick and a flange extending a 1/4" above finish floor there is no reason for anything else if nothing is broke. Put a straight edge across the bottom of the toilet and measure how much the wax ring will be crushed.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:59 AM   #10

ok.. just pulled the toilet again..

I don't think I have a FLANGE... instead of a flange(meaning those neat circle things with screw holes and slots I see on google) I have what appears to be a rubber insert that goes inside of the Closet bend pipe(the big pipe that takes all the sh*T to wherever it goes) and its covered in nothing but wax, crushed wax. Don't ask me where the brass bolts are? They appear to be drilled/held into the floor somehow? they are about half an inch or so away from the closet bend pipe.. **SEE ATTACHED PICS**

Toilet is one of those newer high efficient types where it flushes 1/4 gallon but equals 2 gallons of the old ones.. Was purchased from Sam's and installed 4 years ago.

Definitely needs a new wax ring.. but what about the height or depth?

I was thinking of buying this but what do you fella's think?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...BL01/203564758

Otherwise its this right? Do these extra thick waxes NOT need a flange to sit on? Do they just sit right on top of the closet bend pipe as mine above did and as my pictures show?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmast...7514/203764000

thanks!

oNe

p.s. as you can see floor already buckling near toilet hole.. [email protected]! floor was just installed yesterday too!
Attached Thumbnails
Tiolet Leaking After Replacing-img_20150305_014241994.jpg   Tiolet Leaking After Replacing-img_20150305_014259499.jpg   Tiolet Leaking After Replacing-img_20150305_014310155.jpg  
Old 03-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,424

Sorry your floor is already buckling.

After installing the new laminent flooring around the flange, the flange now sits an 1/4 below the finished floor which makes it hard to seal properly with a regular wax ring. Ideally you want it the other way around so the flange rests on the finish floor. Like you stated, the flange is almost non-existing or rusted out pretty bad.

It looks like old cast iron you're dealing with so any attempt to replace it from underneath could be challenging as well. The seals you referenced may help. Idk.

There was a post a few weeks back, kind of the same situation. Ghost came up with a good link for a seal to help the poster out.

Please wait for the plumbers to look at your pics, they will know the best way to go about sealing the toilet in your situation. They see these situations all the time. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 03-05-2015 at 09:23 AM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,482

With flange (whatever it is) 1/4" above the floor, and the floating (?) floor getting squeezed down with the toilet, you may not have enough wax in between. You may have to shim up the toilet.
Wood floor is just bad in a bathroom, esp as these are engineered not to be used in a bathroom.
I was just reading about Smartside siding that uses more water proofing resin or glue. Bath flooring should be at least that much.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #13

went to Home Depot, dropped $60 on crap..

pictures above are mine..

1. What part is my flange in the pics above?

2. Whats holding those bolts up?

3. How would I raise the the hole UP so that it can create a good/better seal? I was thinking about trying that Sani seal 2nite.. as it allows for unlimited seating attempts but if everything sits too low thats not going to help.

I work till midnight but thinking of making a go at it when I get home..

let me know what you think!

oNe
Old 03-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,936

If those bolts are good and solid, who cares how they are held up, just use them? Rubber gasket looks worth a try even though it's twelve bucks instead of four. And there are laminates that work just fine in the bathroom......but we don't know if yours is one of them.

Depending on your climate, leaks might not be the biggest concern. In my house in southeast MA, we get a few months of hot and humid weather, house is not air conditioned, water comes from a well that reaches down like 350' .......so you flush the toilet and it fills with COLD COLD water, humid air hits it and instant puddle from condensation. In the OLD days of cheap energy, they used to pipe in a mix of both hot and cold to the toilet to eliminate this problem....but no more. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront02769 View Post
If those bolts are good and solid, who cares how they are held up, just use them? Rubber gasket looks worth a try even though it's twelve bucks instead of four. And there are laminates that work just fine in the bathroom......but we don't know if yours is one of them.

Depending on your climate, leaks might not be the biggest concern. In my house in southeast MA, we get a few months of hot and humid weather, house is not air conditioned, water comes from a well that reaches down like 350' .......so you flush the toilet and it fills with COLD COLD water, humid air hits it and instant puddle from condensation. In the OLD days of cheap energy, they used to pipe in a mix of both hot and cold to the toilet to eliminate this problem....but no more. Ron
you misunderstand.. I was asking from a learning/obtaining knowledge perspective... I googled the crap out of toilets and it seems different people call the same parts different names.. i.e. closet flange v/s toilet flange

since time was running out and no one answered I just took a risk and installed the green rubber Sani Seal and I got lucky??

NO more leaks...

Left for Ireland the next day..

Got back this morning(gone for a wekk) and everything still dry...

PHEW!!!!

Thanks for all the info and input gentlemen.. glad this nightmare is over and ended well.

I must say... [email protected] do I REGRET NOT BEING WITHY my father when he did all the handyman stuff around the house and cars.. [email protected] If only I knew what he was offering me back then... LOVE that man to death now and ONLY NOW do I realize the knowledge I missed but more importantly the TIME TOGETHER we would have had..

fudge..

oNe
The Following User Says Thank You to Sean Price For This Useful Post:
jmon (03-17-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement