Terminating A Bidet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2016, 07:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,946

Terminating a bidet

I wanted to get rid of a bidet in the bathroom and keep everything else the way it is.

Single story, 4" concrete slab, tiled bathroom.

Once I removed the actual bidet, I would see the flange and the pipe. Now is there a way to terminate this "outlet" without cutting into the concrete?

The pipe (I think PVC) would be embedded in the concrete slab, the flange is glued to the pipe, and I need a water tight seal to this, then put tiles over the affected area (I have ten 8x8 spare tiles left).

The current plan:

(1) remove/discard bidet.
(2) break off the floor tiles that goes around the drain hole.
(3) use a sawzall to cut the flange/pipe flush with the top of the concrete slab.
(4) I won't be able to glue a cap over it because there will concrete around the outside of the pipe. I won't be able to glue a pipe plug inside of it because part of the flange may be on the inside and the plug has a thickness on top that is probably thicker then the tiles. I need a way to seal this off with it flushed with the slab so I can re-tile over it.

I can think of two ways. One is if the riser pipe is deep enough I may be able to find a mechanical plug may be 1.25" may be 1.5" and lower it deeper into the pipe such that the tightening wing nut is below the floor level. The second way is to stuff some newspaper way down there, then a layer of expandable foam, then finally a layer of concrete flushed with the slab. Then tile.

Thoughts? Or is there a better way? I know the best and most time consuming way is to cut a rectangular hole into the slab, break the concrete around the pipe, expose the entire riser, cut it low, glue in a cap, respray termicide, replace vapor barrier, pour new concrete, then tile. But I am trying to avoid that.
miamicuse is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,122

Re: Terminating a bidet

I think that they make an inflatable rubber plug to plug these off.

Try to find something like that instead of newspaper and foam, then concrete and tiling.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
miamicuse (07-31-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2016, 06:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,946

I did think about inflatable plugs, but those are for temp pressure testing. I don't know how long they stay inflated. If they do fail eventually, it will be behind tiles and I won't know.

That's why I have been thinking about mechanical test plugs like these:

That I can lower into the pipe fully recessed then turn the wingnut to tighten.
miamicuse is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2016, 06:25 AM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,122

I do think that eventually the sewer gasses are going to dissolve the rubber of either type of plug, and it will fall away and be washed away.

That metal would cause a nasty hang-up in the line, and be very hard to remove, whereas the inflatable will mostly wash away.

I know that rubber will deteriorate , it is an organic material.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,848

Only method legal to code is a permanent cap depending on your piping material. Test caps are not included they are a temporary fix. No inflatable plugs no expandable plugs.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement