Tearing Up Basement Floor. Risk Of Hitting Supply Line? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2015, 09:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,602

Tearing up basement floor. Risk of hitting supply line?

I want to install a drain going from my mechanical room to the garage in case anything in there bursts. I figure this can save my basement from major damage. My basement is about 9 inches higher than the attached garage. I'm guessing that the main water line is buried well below the slab and then just turns straight up where it enters the house. Should I be concerned with the chance of hitting a supply line while tearing up the floor? Any way to check? The house was built in 08 and is just north of NYC.

And I'm planning to have a trap with something in it that doesn't evaporate to avoid gases from entering from the garage so it will be a little deeper at that point. The trap will only be 3 feet from where the main line comes up through the floor.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 604

The last time I had Miss Utility at my home they could tell me how deep the gas line was based on the machine they were using. I assume when you get your water lines marked they can tell you how deep the lines are if you ask them.
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 506

The free utility location companies don't locate inside lines.

Typically, the water line should NOT be in the concrete, so you shouldn't be sawing through it. You can generally shave off a little soil at a time with a shovel w/o damagiing any water lines.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 604

Didn't say to locate it inside. How far do you think it would rise from out to in. Call them to locate next to the house, Plus $20 bucks goes a long way for those guys and gals.
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:30 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,586

When you install the trap you should install a trap primer instead of relying on something that won't evaporate.

A trap primer is a device that attaches a faucet feed line and every time the faucet runs a small amount of water fed out a third line. this third line goes to the trap that needs to be kept wet.
Here is a sample install

joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,852

If your house has water our boiler lines under the floor it should be obvious in the Mechanical room. If they do they usually are not much deeper then the concrete is thick.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement