Tapping In Wall After Toilet Flush - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Tapping in wall after toilet flush

I have a slight tapping sound in the wall after toilet flushes and refills. Tapping sound is apparent after the fill valve shuts off. I have a Fluid Master 400a fill valve currently installed. I have since installed a new shut off valve to the toilet but I still hear the tapping. I do not think it is water hammer since it's not a loud thump. It is usually 3 or 4 light taps. This is a small house and the bathroom, shower , kitchen faucets and the hot water heater are in very close proximity to one another and all share a wall. Have copper and galvanized piping. Any idea on where to start on fixing this?
Cisco1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,438

It could be as simple as a loose pipe that needs securing.

Do you have any access to the pipes? Try moving them, see how loose they are. Flush the toilet and observe the pipes if you can.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #3

I don't have access so it appears I may have to open up a wall. I have read that a worn/ loose washer in the faucet can cause this? I did have a spurt of black water coming from the faucet in the bathroom recently but the water cleared up immediately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,438

If its just a slight tapping as you say after the toilet fills and not really bothering anyone, I wouldn' t even worry about it.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,910

I think it's that little guy in the little boat.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #6
Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

How do you know its the water supply and not a drain line?

You're probably right but I suggest you turn off the supply valve, pour a bucket of water down the bowl- just to make sure.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #7

Actually I'm not sure it's not a drain line. Lol. My theory was the tapping only occurs after the toilet fill valve shuts off.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:55 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 626

If the above doesn't work, I would flush the fill valve to see if there is debris, or replace it. If you had black water come out of your faucet, that means debris in you line somewhere and that could effect the function of the fill valve.
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #9

I replaced the fill valve today. Still have the tapping. I'll be ripping open the wall to see what's going on. No easy place to do that so I'll probably have to pull the kitchen cabinet out to access the area I think the tapping is occurring. Ugh.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:48 AM   #10

?????????? I don't think I would be ripping out cabinets yet because what you described doesn't appear related to the pipes since it only happens when the fill valve shuts off. I would do one more test. Turn the toilet water supply valve off . Flush the toilet. Do you still hear the tap.
If not, turn the supply valve on for about five seconds and then turn it off. Do you hear the tap.
With a little more diagnostics, you may be able to isolate before ripping the wall open
Old 03-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #11

I turned the supply valve off and flushed. No tap. Turned the supply valve on for 5 seconds and shut supply valve back off and heard the tapping again. So it has to be a loose pipe? Correct?
Old 03-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #12

What you did was eliminate the fill valve and toilet as the issue. I wouldnt rip out cabinets for a tapping. If it was a loose pipe, you would be able to move the pipe where it enters the wall or the floor. Do you have a pic where the pipe goes into the wall or floor
Old 03-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #13

Not sure how to upload photo using tapatalk on my iPhone. At any rate, there is slight movement on the pipe that enters the wall. I actually could pull and push on it. Hmmmm. But that slight movement kinda baffles me. I don't hear a tapping sound by moving the pipe. I assume there should be NO movement whatsoever. Checking other pipe stubs wall pipes, I can also move the cold water inlet pipe to the hot water heater that is in the wall. actually can feel vibration from the tapping noise when I flush toilet on that pipe. I think something has to be loose.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:59 PM   #14

That could be it. Start securing the loose areas you can see first. It may eliminate the problem without ripping open walls or removing cabinets. Take some pics of the areas you need to secure and go to your favorite big box, or plumbing store and get the appropriate clips or hangers and have at it
Old 03-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,938

Did you ever think a field mouse might be playing his drums?
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement