Tankless Water Heater Barely Gets Warm. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By spinnaker15136
  • 1 Post By spinnaker15136
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Display Modes
Old 11-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 72
Rewards Points: 144
Default

Tankless water heater barely gets warm.


I am experiencing the first colder weather with a tankless hot water heater. The heater is about 10 years old. I purchased it with the house last March. I have never experienced cold weather with this heater.

It has only been in the 30's for the past few days. My hot water is now barely getting warm. Barely makes it to 104 deg F (40C).

Should I expect better performance out of this unit? Or is this waht I can expect? If so when the water heater goes, in goes a tank.


It is a Bocsh Aquastar natural gas heater.

I do not know if it has been maintained recently or not. I understand it needs to be descaled periodically.

Last edited by spinnaker15136; 11-21-2016 at 07:32 PM.
spinnaker15136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-21-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,832
Rewards Points: 3,230
Default

Re: Tankless water heater barely gets warm.


You are correct, it should be serviced at least annually, in accordance with the owners manual. You can try it and see what happens, could possibly make it worse.

I agree with you on the replacement would definitely go with tank. Just my opinion.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 72
Rewards Points: 144
Default

Re: Tankless water heater barely gets warm.


Am I also correct to assume I should get better performance out of this unit?

I have a home warranty. I gave them a call. I figure for $75 it is worth it. Should they have to descale and make it worse (as you say), it is on them. Then I get a new unit.


The issues I have with a tank replacement are:

A. plumbing would all need to be redone which could be expensive.

B. The size. That small heater sure is nice.

C. What to do in event of a leaking tank? It happened before and there was water everywhere. Luckily it was an unfinished basement and there was a drain nearby. The new house basement is finished and there is no nearby drain.
spinnaker15136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-21-2016, 10:53 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,058
Rewards Points: 80
Default

Re: Tankless water heater barely gets warm.


Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnaker15136 View Post
Am I also correct to assume I should get better performance out of this unit?

I have a home warranty. I gave them a call. I figure for $75 it is worth it. Should they have to descale and make it worse (as you say), it is on them. Then I get a new unit.


The issues I have with a tank replacement are:

A. plumbing would all need to be redone which could be expensive.

B. The size. That small heater sure is nice.

C. What to do in event of a leaking tank? It happened before and there was water everywhere. Luckily it was an unfinished basement and there was a drain nearby. The new house basement is finished and there is no nearby drain.
A) pay

B) that part sucks

C) use a leak pan with a 3/4 or 1" pvc drain.

That heater should give a good temp rise. Something like at least 80*F at the rated flow. Yes they should be cleaned, both fire side and water side.

Fire side always gets bad. Water side if you have hard water. Usually it's more of a flush since you can't really do much more.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,660
Rewards Points: 1,866
Default

Re: Tankless water heater barely gets warm.


Did you try increasing the temperature of the tank less? Get it serviced replace it if cost to fix is to high. A navian or Rinnia both are good models.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:28 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,058
Rewards Points: 80
Default

Re: Tankless water heater barely gets warm.


I forgot to ask, do you have a hot water tempering valve? They can fail and stop providing hot water too.

I'm used to Navien's, they don't need them. Cheaper models do.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 72
Rewards Points: 144
Default

Re: Tankless water heater barely gets warm.


Quote:
Originally Posted by supers05 View Post
I forgot to ask, do you have a hot water tempering valve? They can fail and stop providing hot water too.

I'm used to Navien's, they don't need them. Cheaper models do.

Cheers!
I don't know. Doubtful if it is not a part of the unit. The only external valves I see are for the flush procedure.
spinnaker15136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 72
Rewards Points: 144
Default

Re: Tankless water heater barely gets warm.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Did you try increasing the temperature of the tank less? Get it serviced replace it if cost to fix is to high. A navian or Rinnia both are good models.

Yeah I have home owner's insurance that came with the purchase of the house. I figure for $75 it is worth it to just have them mess with it. Maybe I will get a new unit. If the insurance company is up for it, I would rather they just replace with a good quality tank heater.
spinnaker15136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:24 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,058
Rewards Points: 80
Default

Re: Tankless water heater barely gets warm.


What's the model number. Get it cleaned.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 72
Rewards Points: 144
Default

Re: Tankless water heater barely gets warm.


Quote:
Originally Posted by supers05 View Post
What's the model number. Get it cleaned.

Cheers!

That is what the plumber is going to do on Friday. After that I will de-scale on a regular schedule. The way I figure it, if they clean and it makes matters worse it is on them.
jmon likes this.
spinnaker15136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 72
Rewards Points: 144
Default

Re: Tankless water heater barely gets warm.


Think I got this working. I happened to notice the heater was cycling with the hot water on full. I adjusting the flow control, now I am up to 130 degrees.
supers05 likes this.
spinnaker15136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:29 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,058
Rewards Points: 80
Default

Re: Tankless water heater barely gets warm.


Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnaker15136 View Post
Think I got this working. I happened to notice the heater was cycling with the hot water on full. I adjusting the flow control, now I am up to 130 degrees.
Haven't worked on Bosch units. Was it the flow sensing switch? If it was, that's a safety, and was probably doing it's job. (or someone never set it up right. It wouldn't surprise me, but they are supposed to be setup from the factory) If it was, then it's a bigger sign that you need that thing cleaned.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:12 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 72
Rewards Points: 144
Default

Re: Tankless water heater barely gets warm.


Quote:
Originally Posted by supers05 View Post
Haven't worked on Bosch units. Was it the flow sensing switch? If it was, that's a safety, and was probably doing it's job. (or someone never set it up right. It wouldn't surprise me, but they are supposed to be setup from the factory) If it was, then it's a bigger sign that you need that thing cleaned.

Cheers!
Apparently it is a consumer settable option because it is right on the front panel of the unit.
spinnaker15136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tankless water heater to pre-heat incoming water matthet Plumbing 35 01-06-2017 12:39 AM
Shopping for New Electric Water Heater Lots of Questions LeakyHawaiiRoof Plumbing 3 11-02-2014 01:18 AM
Vacuum breaker with tankless water heater? braman Plumbing 3 04-07-2013 01:40 AM
REplacing water heater - PV, DV, or Tankless? curls00 Plumbing 5 12-09-2010 12:21 PM
(Water Heater MYSTERY) Hot water out from dead tank with cold water in it? Inayity Plumbing 6 07-14-2008 08:36 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts