Switch From Electric To Hot Water - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,192

Switch from electric to hot water

I added this to another post that was about something else song though it would be better to start new. The other post refers to a tapping above my den ceiling which is the hot water heat pipe for my baseboards. Below is the continuation.

In this room(the den) which is down stairs and the only room down stairs,The other part is an apartment, I installed baseboard heaters. What a waste of $$$$. Our electric bill skyrockets in the winter. Anyway I have hot water pipes in this rooms ceiling that feed our baseboards upstairs. I'm wondering if I switch to hot water baseboards in the den can the tie-in happen in the ceiling? I'm going to call some plumbers to give me estimates but I want to be informed to prevent getting ripped off. btw we have two hot water heaters and boilers...one for us and one for the apartment. Anything else I should know regarding the plumber telling me what I need to do would be helpful.
Anyways i would love to have that room on a separate zone. That's probably more practical as to not be hearing that room when only people are upstairs. Guess he'll have to run pipe from den to boiler room which is about 25' away on same floor. I'm assuming he's gonna have to cut ceilings to install pipe....ugh.
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2015, 05:56 PM   #2
Banned Electrician

Rewards Points: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
I added this to another post that was about something else song though it would be better to start new. The other post refers to a tapping above my den ceiling which is the hot water heat pipe for my baseboards. Below is the continuation.

In this room(the den) which is down stairs and the only room down stairs,The other part is an apartment, I installed baseboard heaters. What a waste of $$$$. Our electric bill skyrockets in the winter. Anyway I have hot water pipes in this rooms ceiling that feed our baseboards upstairs. I'm wondering if I switch to hot water baseboards in the den can the tie-in happen in the ceiling? I'm going to call some plumbers to give me estimates but I want to be informed to prevent getting ripped off. btw we have two hot water heaters and boilers...one for us and one for the apartment. Anything else I should know regarding the plumber telling me what I need to do would be helpful.
Anyways i would love to have that room on a separate zone. That's probably more practical as to not be hearing that room when only people are upstairs. Guess he'll have to run pipe from den to boiler room which is about 25' away on same floor. I'm assuming he's gonna have to cut ceilings to install pipe....ugh.
Defiantly the way to go,and just get rid of the electric heat, your saving will pay for the plumber..
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2015, 03:12 PM   #3

Any other advice or things I should know look for when plumber tells me scope of work. Want to have some understanding of the right application etc. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,348

If the room isn't used much, you might want to put it on a separate zone.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If the room isn't used much, you might want to put it on a separate zone.
Absolutely what I'm thinking. And I assume that's just piped from heaters directly to boiler room? So pretty straight forward for plumber? Thx
Old 10-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 454

He should do a heat loss calculation for the rooms to size the emitters properly. This should also be based on the water temperature he plans on running or that your system is already running at. He should also verify you have the capacity in the boiler, which you most likely do because most boilers are grossly oversized money pits.
KC_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement