Supporting PVC? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2015, 08:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 302

Supporting PVC?

I may have run into a problem?

I ran PVC piping with C-clamps to the foundation and some framing. I was thinking about J hooks, but I wanted to keep the the piping as close to the walls as possible.

I didn't take into consideration that PVC expands, and metal could shear the pipe?

I'm not sure how concerning this is... I've come across a few options in case I can't do that, but again, I don't know if these will work:

1 is ape tape: it looks like a woven tape that I can just wrap around the drain vents and screw into the framing.

2: is a zip-tie style support: this says it's good for DWV applications in attics, but I can't see why it wouldn't work in a basement?
gizzygone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 08:56 PM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

I don't know what you mean by c-clamp, but ape tape works fine. We still use plumbers tape too, although I've been told some inspectors frown on it when used with plastic.

IMO, I don't think there is enough expansion to be an issue. I've clamped a lot of pvc to unistrut over the years....

Support at 4ft max spacing
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2015, 10:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 114

Are you talking about these (http://www.supplyhouse.com/Carpenter...ap-5196000-p)? If so I wouldn't worry about it. I did actually fail an inspection for it once but in reality it's not actually going to hurt anything. If you're really worried about PVC on metal you could use somthing like this (http://www.supplyhouse.com/Empire-In...Plastic-Coated). Like I said I wouldn't worry to much about it. Those straps will probably outlast us.
2x_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015, 04:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x_Tom View Post
Are you talking about these (http://www.supplyhouse.com/Carpenter...ap-5196000-p)? If so I wouldn't worry about it. I did actually fail an inspection for it once but in reality it's not actually going to hurt anything. If you're really worried about PVC on metal you could use somthing like this (http://www.supplyhouse.com/Empire-In...Plastic-Coated). Like I said I wouldn't worry to much about it. Those straps will probably outlast us.
The first link you posted wasn't working, but here's what I'm talking about: http://www.supplyhouse.com/Empire-In...lvanized-Strap

I understand that metal plumbers tape is not allowed, so I assumed the tube strap I used might have the same restriction.

I'm not so much worried about the metal to PVC, I'm more worried about passing inspection, or the metal not allowing the PVC to expand and contract.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 299

They make plastic versions of those, don't know if I've ever seen them in the plumbing aisle, but they are in the electrical aisle at Home Depot. Electrical PVC and water PVC have the same dimensions so they will fit.

Last edited by Syberia; 12-30-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Syberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,938

Don't lose sleep over it. If it's drain pipe and supported at 4 foot intervals I would pass it. If its plastic water line I would fail it.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syberia View Post
They make plastic versions of those, don't know if I've ever seen them in the plumbing aisle, but they are in the electrical aisle at Home Depot. Electrical PVC and water PVC have the same dimensions so they will fit.
Ah, the conduit clamps. I'll look into those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Don't lose sleep over it. If it's drain pipe and supported at 4 foot intervals I would pass it. If its plastic water line I would fail it.
So you feel ill be okay with the metal clamps? I have no idea how much PVC expands/contracts, so I'd hate for it to crack or shear.

I do have them about every 3-4ft, so maybe I'll just back the screws out a little to give me some wiggle room.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 114

I wouldn't worry about it You should be fine. I've passed tons of inspections with those on PVC. The one I did fail because of it the inspector owned a plumbing company. He bid on and did not get that job. I wonder why he was nitpicking :confused: It's not any sort of danger to the pipe. I'd rather have those then their plastic counterparts. That pipe gets pretty heavy if you have a stoppage and it's filled with water. You want it supported well.
2x_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,938

You will be long dead in the ground feeding worms before that happens.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement