Sump Pump Poly Pipe - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2016, 10:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 158

Sump pump poly pipe

Hi,

I have bought a house with some sump pump issues. I failed to take a look at the crawl space apparently! It was a muddy mess and the old sump pump was submersed in about a foot of dried out mud..

My wife and I put in a new sump pit, layered with gravel& fabric weave. Everything was going alright, but every winter now, the line freezes and the motor stops. We also found out that when he dug the trench going to daylight, he dug it too shallow (maybe 1'-2'?) and also used the old poly pipe, which is only about 3/4"-1" in diameter inside (not sure, can't remember that well). I have attached a picture of where the line hits daylight and our sump pit with the PVC connection to the "polyethylene" pipe. It ends up going all the way to the drain which is acceptable by our city regulations. Last spring after the ice melted, we even had to repair this pipe since it cracked in the center..

Anyway, my questions are:

1. Whats the best way to temporarily take the water out of the crawl space? I was thinking... dig around it a little and cut it outside a bit, then just direct the line into a 6" corrugated drain pipe for now..

2. Also more importantly, I was wondering what's the best way to permanently end my misery with this thing? Dig a deeper trench/use bigger pvc is the obvious, but the problem is that the storm drain isn't really that much lower than the starting point (won't provide enough slope). And it is like a 100' run, so no joke.. some more simpler solutions would really be appreciated!

Currently I have a huge pool of water knee deep in the crawl space, which is why this is worrying me Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Sump pump poly pipe-img_1928.jpg   Sump pump poly pipe-img_1918.jpg   Sump pump poly pipe-img_1909.jpg   Sump pump poly pipe-image-4-outside.jpg   Sump pump poly pipe-sump-drain-flowing.jpg  

mikemark8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,292

Temporarily pump the water out of the crawl space onto the surface as far from the house as possible.

Water should not be pooling up around the foundation. If it does then you may need to regrade the land.

Do not trench or excavate around the foundation for a layer of mulch or gravel for landscaping.
mikemark8808 (01-16-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,056

Ayuh,.... A couple of thoughts,.....

#1,... Ya got a surface swale, 'bout a couple feet left of the poly line,...
Use it, rather than a pipe,....

The swale appears to need a slight bit of Tunin' to flow better, but it's still 100x better than a low pitch pipe,....

#2,... I'd move the pvc ya put in, Higher, to promote quicker drainin' of the pipe,....
I'd run the pvc to the floor joists above the pit, straight across, 'n out the hole in the foundation, out to the swale, then seal the hole to stop freezin' air from comin' in,....

Where are ya located,..??
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,866

Install a french drain around the crawl and stop using a sump.

http://media.askbuild.com/legacy/french_drain.jpg
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 10:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... A couple of thoughts,.....

#1,... Ya got a surface swale, 'bout a couple feet left of the poly line,...
Use it, rather than a pipe,....

The swale appears to need a slight bit of Tunin' to flow better, but it's still 100x better than a low pitch pipe,....

#2,... I'd move the pvc ya put in, Higher, to promote quicker drainin' of the pipe,....
I'd run the pvc to the floor joists above the pit, straight across, 'n out the hole in the foundation, out to the swale, then seal the hole to stop freezin' air from comin' in,....

Where are ya located,..??
Thanks for the advice. Earlier today, we actually cut the poly pipe a little bit further from the house. When I turned the sump pump on, it pumped out most of the water from the crawl space out and INTO the "swale" that you were talking about. We dug into the parts where the water was stopping. We trenched about half way and all the way to the storm drain, it worked out really well, for now.

I went to the home improvement store to buy two 10 feet 6" corrugated solid pipe since although the water was flowing well, a lot of it was seeping back into the pit. It was pumping almost every 10-30 seconds. I directed the water with the pipes to the front corner of the house where the low spot is (that's as far as the pipes would go together about). I'm located in mid Michigan and it's going to be 10 degrees F again tomorrow...

Some questions
1. If we do choose to use this trench for a permanent solution, is that against most codes? To let the water flow freely across the yard like that. Will it even be permanent or do I need to add some perforated drain pipe to it like a true french drain? Plus it is on the properly line with my neighbor, when we were digging they kept looking at us

2. If I dig a 2-3' deep trench with 1.5" pvc pipe later on, where do I connect the drain to for the storm drain? It will be deeper and not at the surface I'd imagine. Maybe I will really need to call a plumber to make the connection...

Last edited by mikemark8808; 01-16-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Temporarily pump the water out of the crawl space onto the surface as far from the house as possible.

Water should not be pooling up around the foundation. If it does then you may need to regrade the land.

Do not trench or excavate around the foundation for a layer of mulch or gravel for landscaping.
This is true, I need to add a bit more dirt (maybe a trailer full) to the back yard by the corner. This is where most of the water is pouring in from last time I was in the crawl space. Crawl space is like 3' tall btw which is a pain, even more with water in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Install a french drain around the crawl and stop using a sump.

http://media.askbuild.com/legacy/french_drain.jpg
I thought about this before when installing the pit. I don't think it is worth it since most of the water just comes in from this back corner. I thought about maybe laying out a L-shape around the inside perimeter and tying it into the sump pit.. but it seems to be doing its job already. Plus it's way too much work/money. Thanks for this suggestion though.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,056

Quote:
Some questions
1. If we do choose to use this trench for a permanent solution, is that against most codes? To let the water flow freely across the yard like that. Will it even be permanent or do I need to add some perforated drain pipe to it like a true french drain? Plus it is on the properly line with my neighbor, when we were digging they kept looking at us

2. If I dig a 2-3' deep trench with 1.5" pvc pipe later on, where do I connect the drain to for the storm drain? It will be deeper and not at the surface I'd imagine. Maybe I will really need to call a plumber to make the connection...
Ayuh,.... I donno the codes in yer area, You'll have to find that out, Locally,....

I also donno where yer property line is, nor how well ya get along with the neighbor,...
But, a properly dranin' swale is a benefit to both of ya,...

As for addin' pipe,...
The pipe will be useless, unless below frost, or it'll just freeze solid, 'n back up into yer crawl space again,....

The exposed swale is the Best option, along with stoppin' the water from enterin' in the 1st place, which is absolutely Necessary, sooner the better,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement