Sump Pump Plumbing Guidance - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2016, 03:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 237

sump pump plumbing guidance

hi all,

I'm going to be adding a battery backup sump pump into my sump basin soon and was looking for advice as to how I should plumb the new unit so it'll tie into my main discharge line.

my main discharge pipe from my zoeller sump pump exits out of the side of the sump basin (which was then concreted over by the waterproofing contractors), runs up the wall and then out a basement window. here's a few photos of that set up:

can I tie into the discharge pipe inside the basin with a tee?
andrewjs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2016, 05:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,220

the discharge if only ground water should go outside the house, not into your house sewer line, you have to run a new discharge line outside from the new pump, or it will just pump back into the basin through the other line you tee into..unless you put 2 check valves..one on each line right by the pumps, and then you have the issue of the water in the line above the check valve, will the pump be strong enough to push that water when the pump starts, its hard to tell if the pump now has a check valve just below the pvc pipe in the sump or is that just a clamp? what is the tee in the pump line now up by the ceiling? where do the pipes go?
WhatRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatRnsdownhill View Post
the discharge if only ground water should go outside the house, not into your house sewer line, you have to run a new discharge line outside from the new pump, or it will just pump back into the basin through the other line you tee into..unless you put 2 check valves..one on each line right by the pumps, and then you have the issue of the water in the line above the check valve, will the pump be strong enough to push that water when the pump starts, its hard to tell if the pump now has a check valve just below the pvc pipe in the sump or is that just a clamp? what is the tee in the pump line now up by the ceiling? where do the pipes go?
the sump pumps are pumping ground water from my french drain to the outside of my house, not in a sewer line.

the tee in the discharge line you see is to tie in a 2nd sump pump that's located in an old coal room at the front of my house. both sump pumps have check valves installed just above the discharge outlet on the pumps..

the pumps really only put in any work when it rains really hard and/or for long periods of time...but when it does rain hard, it sounds like a river flowing into the sump basins.
andrewjs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
the sump pumps are pumping ground water from my french drain to the outside of my house, not in a sewer line.

the tee in the discharge line you see is to tie in a 2nd sump pump that's located in an old coal room at the front of my house. both sump pumps have check valves installed just above the discharge outlet on the pumps..

the pumps really only put in any work when it rains really hard and/or for long periods of time...but when it does rain hard, it sounds like a river flowing into the sump basins.
you should look for a solar charger for the battery backup pump...so even if the electric goes out for awhile the battery will be recharged..
WhatRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement