Sump Pump One-way Valves - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 96

Sump Pump one-way valves

Last year, I replaced the sump pump after 25 years, it was still working but the one-way valve (the type that threads into the pump housing) had cracked and I figured, while replacing the valve, be safe and replace the pump. This time around I put in an inline one-way valve that clamps to the outflow pipe instead.

Friday night, I awoke in the middle of the night, and the pump was cycling much more frequently than that night's rain would normally cause. I went downstairs and watched a few cycles -- at the end (bottom) of the cycle, as it shut off, I'd see a gush of water OUT of the intake peremeter vents on the pump. Sheesh, sounds like another one-way valve failed or failing (right?) I let it continue as I really couldn't think of anything to do.

I plan of picking up a new valve and installing it the next dry spell when I'll have plenty of time to work between cycles. But I'm wondering if buying yet another low-priced valve at Big Orange is the solution. Are there quality differences, is there a brand or model worth having?

Sorry, missing a few data points like the model # of the pump or the diameter (1.5"? 2"?) discharge pipe, but the question is kinda generic. Rise is about 9' including the depth of the well.
tiger1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

Install it now, do not wait. Otherwise you will end up air locking & burning out the sump pump. It is about a 5 min job to swap out the old for the new, since they use Fernco fittings to hold them on the piping.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 582

check in bottom of pit for junk that might be being pulled into the check valve....here is a good example of sump pump set up...
Attached Images

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
jomama45 (01-29-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
here is a good example of sump pump set up...
Thanks, looks roughly like my set-up except I don't have that gate valve, what's that for?

BTW, I'll look but when I did the new pump last year, pretty clean down there, did not find debris. Fair point, however.

Back to original question, is there a one-way valve that's better than others? I don't mind doing the swap but I don't want to do one annually.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,690

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1964 View Post
...except I don't have that gate valve, what's that for?
That's a new one for me too.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Install it now, do not wait. Otherwise you will end up air locking & burning out the sump pump. It is about a 5 min job to swap out the old for the new, since they use Fernco fittings to hold them on the piping.
BTW, thanks, I had to look it up; didn't know they were called Fernco fittings, so I learned something new. Wow, it was running Friday night a full cycle every minute (true) for a couple of hours , we had massive rain, if it didn't burn out then...

Anyway, if I get good input on brand, model # or series to get, hopefully can pick one up this weekend.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #7

For instance, while the all-black-plastic one from Home Depot i now have looks like on-line pictures I see of FloTec or Fernco, on Amazon I see very high rating for this... and expereince?

http://www.amazon.com/Zoeller-30-018...sin=B0009WD1L4
Old 01-28-2015, 02:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 6,652

You are over thinking this. That one would work, as long as you can just pick it up at a local Farm & home store or get it next day through Amazon.

Personally I would just go to Home Depot or the Local Farm & Home store and pick up two Fernco fittings, the backflow valve, along with gives you a reason to pick up Furnace filters (found them cheaper at the farm store than hardware store), and other necessities.

Pull the old one off of the pump, attach a three foot stub of PVC to a Female adapter to screw onto the Sump. Then place the valve between that stub and the section that goes outside.

You want the Check valve out of the pool, where you can see it. As for the push gate valve, some people do that, so that they can close the valve, still keep a head of water above the check valve, when they replace them.

My dad used to keep a spare one in the box by the sump pump. That way if one failed he did not have to spend 20 min's going to the store and back or wait until morning if it failed overnight.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #9

So I ordered the one in post #7, it should be here in 48 hours; if I like the way it's made, I like the idea of getting a 2nd one as a spare.

Not sure if the new valve will be the same length as the old one, there's a -- hmm, maybe 15" -- length of 1-1/2 pipe before another of those Fernco collars, I did it that way as I couldn't really figure out another way of enough "wiggle room" for the install (on the old pump before that, I had utilized a gigantic PVC union that I had literally found in the middle of the street one day, that didn't make it any easier IMHO), so that pipe might need to be replaced with one a wee bit shorter or longer.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:37 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,932

The gate valve or Ball valve is only a requirement on ejector (feces) pumps. Need it for servicing.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 06:18 AM   #11

New valve arrived Saturday and went in Sunday. The old one was named "Parts2O" and the flapper inside was jammed open (as I said, less than a year old). The new one appears more solidly built; I'll get a spare.
The Following User Says Thank You to tiger1964 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (02-02-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement