Sump-pump Not Needed? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 415

Sump-pump not needed?

I live in a 1979 house that has a floating slab and I am pretty sure it has a perforated perimeter drain system. I have a floor drain in my basement. I noticed during a micro burst, when the streets flooded and the storm drains were overwhelmed I heard a loud gushing of air coming out of the floor drain. In the 8 years I have owned this house, this is only time I have heard that. This makes me think that the floor drain is tied into the storm drains and I must be above the grade of the storm drains. I am guessing that the air had no where to go and since my floor drain wasn't taking in water the rush of water to the storm drains forced air out of my floor drain.

I went over to my neighbor's house whose house is about 3-4ft lower than mine in elevation. He has a sump and pipes that run into it from the perimeter. He also says it never has water in it.

So here are some questions I have:
1) Is it normal to run both a drain and a perforated perimeter drain system directly into the storm drain system, if you are above the grade of the storm system?

2) Was the air escaping during the storm drain proof that the drain is tied into the system?

I would feel a lot more confident in my theory, if not for the round disturbance in the slab that looks like the size of a sump pump. What possible reason could it be there for? I hope the drain tile just doesn't empty into a filled in sump 0_o. Maybe the builders put it in and realized they didn't need it...

I do have moisture problems, but I see no evidence of flooding. I uploaded a photo of the disturbance in the slab and you can see the floor drain at the bottom middle of the photo as well.

I know this was a long post, but I have been banging my head against the wall to figure it out. I might see if I can get a plumber with a snake cam or something to see if can find out what is going on underneath, as I do have high moisture.

Thank in advance,

Solaritu
Attached Images

Solaritu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,932

Are you sure you do not live in an area that has combined sewers. Storm and human waste same piping?
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 02:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Are you sure you do not live in an area that has combined sewers. Storm and human waste same piping?
Thanks for getting back to me, according to this site, it looks separate:
http://www.perinton.org/departments/sewer/stormdrain/

Also some of the neighborhoods around us have these "h20hero" placards on the storm drain saying don't pollute Lake Ontario.
Solaritu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 516

It sounds like you may have a Palmer valve. Perhaps you could call a local plumbing company to pick their brain a little bit and see if Palmer valves were common in your area in the era your home was built. Here's a link to how the system works:

http://www.ashireporter.org/HomeInsp...ments-Dry/1048

As for the spot on the floor, it looks like it just may be a stain of some sort? Maybe something sat there for a long length of time? If it's not near the wall (within a foot or so) it's unlikely that there ever was a sump crock there...........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement