Sump Pump Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2017, 04:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 296

Sump pump drain

I have a fairly new sump pump an noticed today w high waters that every minute it's pumping water out ..but not only from exit pipe but also there's water coming out freeze vent pipe also,this looks like a vent in a pipe.
Pic of vent sideways..

Any info on why it's coming out of both?
Attached Thumbnails
Sump pump drain-20170422_095016.jpg   Sump pump drain-20170422_094825.jpg  

Last edited by hidden 1; 04-22-2017 at 04:37 PM.
hidden 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2017, 05:13 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 32,036

Re: Sump pump drain

The drain line might be partially clogged.
If water is coming out right next to the foundation then it is probably running back in and making the pump run again.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,112

I can't say I've ever seen a vent on a sump drain line. When the pump stops, do you hear or see water running back into the sump?

Joed is correct -if a lot of water is being dumped near the foundation it may be running right back into your drain tile. Is it cycling more often than normal for this time of year?
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2017, 05:49 PM   #4

We are getting high amounts of water an flood warnings..an it's pumping out every 60 seconds..i have clay an it goes downhill after coming out..ive just never heard of it coming out of freeze vent pipe..along with main exit pipe..lll see if the time period lengthens for it to kick in between pumping ..then I'll know it's taking out more water..i doubt a block in it at 4weeks old but that's possible..
Any other stuff to check?
Old 04-22-2017, 09:03 PM   #5
Usually Confused

A high ground water table might be the reason for the frequent cycling. Your new pump might be overwhelming the discharge line, particularly if it has a restriction. The cycling may just be a result of your current water situation, or it is from water feeding back into your foundation, ora combination of both.

I am assuming the first pic is the vent (green thing). I'm not sure what the 2nd pic is showing. Is that water leaking from around where the pipe goes into the ground? If so you might have a break in the line.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #6

I The green thing is pop up drain valve,like gutters use,,which I've removed for now so more water can be pumped out..it goes to sump pump for water coming out .

The other pic is freeze vent pipe [maybe used if pipe for water is solid ice,not sure]..

It is taking about 6 minutes now so I'm sure the frequency is based on how much rain we have.

The only thing is ,even after the 6 minutes when it repumps it is STILL coming out the vent pipe ..it comes from top where pipe exits home an just shoots into vent part an out...this is not where it's made to exit.

Last edited by hidden 1; 04-23-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:19 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 288

My hunch is the pump output is more than the drain pipe can handle because the end where the pop up is an up turned 90 degree elbow. When the pump runs, it fills up the pipe until the level in the input side is higher then the exit. The water the overflows out of the end due to water finding it's own level. If you eliminate the 90 at the end of the pipe, water will flow better and it won't back up and out of the freeze gap.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #8

You may be right on it not allowing the exit of water ..
There's only 6 more feet further out an then driveways an sidewalk.The pump is much lower than ground.

Whats the best way to redirect it though there's not a lot of space an the 1st bend in drain restricts it some before it even gets to ground.?

Last edited by hidden 1; 04-23-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:41 PM   #9

This was done by licensed plumbing company an I'll be talking to them on fixing it but don't want more trouble..
Should have been done right 3weeks ago!
Professionals should know better.

I'm gonna make em do a test fill run before they leave too.

Anything I should be looking at or as they repair it before or after fix..like maybe eliminate that vent line?.or making a horizontal drain instead of pop up?
Old 04-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #10
Usually Confused

Check with the pump manual or manufacturer for its recommended discharge line diameter. Check to make sure the pipe and adhesive is suitable for external use.

You could also consider coming out of the wall with a 45* elbow then angle into the garden then to horizontal (downward slope) with another 45. It will take up a little of space but not much. As for the vent, sorry, I've never seen a vented sump line so can't offer anything.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:16 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 288

The vent is there in case the pipe in the ground gets clogged or freezes. It allows the pump to keep discharging water.

You might be able to get more volume using a larger pipe or adding an additional outlet. Install a wye and add another length of pipe with an elbow up.

Your set up is like a U. One side is the inlet, the other the outlet. Ideally, you want an L so the water can just flow out of the pipe.
Advertisement