Sump Pump Controller - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Sump pump controller

This board was a great resource for helping me choose the right home generator plant. I went with a natural gas 20KW Koehler plant with automatic transfer switch. Now just waiting for a power failure to see it work (other than the bi-weekly run tests). Thanks!!

But now I am back for guidance on dual sump pump controller.
After the power failure that caused no sump pump and battery backup sump that failed AND came within seconds of a flooded basement that made us buy the gen set, I want to replace the sump with a dual set.

Apparently my sump pump is a Zoeller that is in to its 17th year (same age as house), so nervous it will fail. Thus want to replace it with two identical Zoellers controlled by alternate action controller.

There seems to be just two brands on the market: Zoeller Smart Pak Plus (10-0804)
http://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-na/pr...ial-alternator
and the SJE Rhombus Ultra Nator
http://www.sjerhombus.com/uploads/ul...r-features.pdf

Each seems to have its strong and weak points in my mind. The Zoeller allows each pump to run on its own float switch while UltraNator has one that activate one or other pump. Both have a high water trip that starts other pump in case primary fails. Ultranator has independent pump test buttons while Zoeller would require reaching into pit to trip pumps (or filling pit manually to trip one or other)

Anyone using sump pump alternators? Any other brands out there that my google search hasn't found?
electronics sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015, 10:24 AM   #2

Do I have the right forum or should I repost this under a different heading??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
Plumber

Rewards Points: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronics sam View Post
Do I have the right forum or should I repost this under a different heading??
No, you have right board but I think you've stumped us enough that we're hesitant to answer. I'm not familiar with the dual pump controls. I like Zoeller though....
electronics sam (07-16-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 8,685

Is your sump deep enough to handle one over the other? Why not just have 2?

I plan to add a second one over my older lower one as a backup. Hopefully I will a roud to it before the old one dies.
Colbyt is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Colbyt For This Useful Post:
electronics sam (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 04:08 PM   #5

Hi,
Been corresponding with a Zoeller rep who says two M53 pumps will fit snugly into pit. Been seeing lots of nice stuff on line saying how well Zoellers last and last.

The controllers I mentioned in my original posting are designed to alternate between two pumps. When one is done pumping, the other will run on next cycle then back to first one. If box senses two much current or pit hasn't drained after several minutes, it cuts power and switches to second pump. If the initial pump has failed after three times its locked out and alarm sounds. So there are two vendors with these devices that are plug and play, and wondered if anyone has used them. Call me nervous Ned but the idea of having a basement swimming pool is not enticing.

And finally, the rep suggested I see what Zoeller was in use. So I pulled the pit lid and looked. It was an M53, but sitting at a cock angle. Before we moved in, the house had a radon abatement system installed. The contractor had shoved the pump back against the pit knocking it off the brick supports (so he could seal around pipes and openings easily, never mind setting pump level). The angle was such that the float bobber had limited movement so pump was "short cycling". I managed to reset bricks under pump and float can move full travel. Now just wait for next heavy rain to see if short cycling is eliminated.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to electronics sam For This Useful Post:
ProGreen (07-16-2015), TheEplumber (07-16-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement