Sump Pump Check Valve, On Pump Or Spliced In Pipe? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 76

Sump pump check valve, on pump or spliced in pipe?

We have been getting some pretty good rain and I stopped at mom's house the other day while she was gone and heard the pump running but it was a different noise and longer then usual. When I checked it the water in the pit was super hot so I unplugged the pump and found that the pipe had come off the pump. Figured the pump was at least 15 years old and after getting that hot it probably wasn't the most reliable anymore and decided it was time to change it out. Picked up a coleman "professional" series cast iron pump on sale for about 90 bucks after the menards rebate. Was normally 130 on sale for 100 and then 11% off that. Looked like the best value pump they had.

http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing...25306296529027

I also got a inline style check valve and put it in the PVC about 3' up from the pump. I used a 1 1/2" threaded adapter to come out of the pump and then glued on PVC. They also had a 1 1/2" threaded adapter that had a built in check valve and then a rubber fernco style coupler to attach to PVC. But I didn't know if that would work good being that the whole thing will always be under water since it screws onto the pump discharge at the bottom of the pit.

Is one style of check valve better then the other? Any rules or common sense when choosing whether to get one that screws into the pump discharge or one that goes inline with the PVC a couple feet up out of the pit? Just want to make sure I got it set up right.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 162

Re: Sump pump check valve, on pump or spliced in pipe?

In my area pumps for ground water are rare. But this is what I do for sewage pumps- I put the check valve outside the sump and I also install a ball valve above the check valve. Makes servicing a lot cleaner. Or I go with this tri-check-- http://www.zoellerpumps.com/pt-la/pr...d-combo-valves
Advertisement