Sulfur Smell Hot Water Heater - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Sulfur smell hot water heater

I bought a foreclosure about a year and a half ago. The house was an auction, and had been sitting for a few months without power and water. After taking over the house everything seemed to work fine. After a while I would notice that in the morning my garage would have a strong sulfur smell in it. This is where the water heater is located. I tried turning up the water temp as an experiment, and changed the anode. Neither helped the problem. Finally, I changed the water heater, and this helped for a couple months now back to the same problem. The water coming out in the house both hot and cold does not smell. I do get a couple of occasional sulfur type smells sometimes from a few faucets and laundry room, but it almost seems like they smell when not running. My appliances in laundry are top loaders. I also changed out all the p-traps in the house to be over cautious. I also changed my garbage disposal in the kitchen, but this seems to be the most common problem area besides hot water heater. This is a very frustrating problem, as my ac air handlers are in the garage with the hot water heater. Any insight to this problem would be appreciated. Could any damage have occurred to the plumbing when sitting inactive? The plumbing is all copper. I live in south florida on city water, but city water quality here is not great at all.
Thanks for responses Bill
saleen16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,778

Re: Sulfur smell hot water heater

Gas or electric ?

I would be checking the exhaust system out if this is gas.

And have the water tested for it's Sulphur content.

Sometimes a gas water heater will have a bad burner and smell bad, which is also poisoning you.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Gas or electric ?

I would be checking the exhaust system out if this is gas.

And have the water tested for it's Sulphur content.

Sometimes a gas water heater will have a bad burner and smell bad, which is also poisoning you.

ED

Thanks Ed

I forgot to mention that it is an electric water heater, but thanks for trying to help. Bill
saleen16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 02:05 PM   #4

I had the same sulfur problem with both of my hot water heaters but I'm on well water here. Sulfur compounds tend to grow and intensify in the chamber of a hot water heater and the anode does nothing to stop it...
What I did helped for a great deal of time but has to be redone periodically...
...I shut off the heater at the breaker box..if you have gas, turn off the gas supply....
...Shut off the cold water supply going in at the valve...
...Drain some of the water out of the bottom spigot to bring the level down just a bit.
... Uncap your water inlet hose from the top of the heater...
...Pour in 1-2 cups of hydrogen peroxide.
...Reattach water inlet, turn cold water valve back on and restore power to let it bring tank back up to operating temperature.

It is then best to let it sit without drawing hot water, say maybe overnight if possible... It has helped to reduce the sulfur compounds trapped in the heater and has lasted me for up to six months... Hope that helps...
Jhp230gr45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jhp230gr45 For This Useful Post:
Ghostmaker (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #5
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,778

Bill: Then I would try the peroxide trick, that was posted by another.

Sometimes a water system has a high mineral content, which you allude to in yours, and if a tank just sits for a long time the minerals will settle to the bottom and cause this smelly situation first thing in the morning.

Have you tried to flush out your tank?

I have to at least once a year to keep the electric elements from crudding up and burning themselves out.

To do a flush, you need a garden hose, hook it to the drain valve, Shut off the power, then shut off the water supply, then drain your heater completely to the outdoors, or a nearby drain.

After the tank empties, turn on the water supply FULL BLAST for about 60 seconds, this will cause those settlings to blast loose, drain and repeat the FULL BLAST a few more times, until the flow is clear of settlins, and shut off the drain valve remove the hose, turn on the water , fill tank, turn on the power, heat water , and have a cleaned out water heater, and check a few times over the next day or two for the smell.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement