Suggestions For Better 50 Gal Gas Hot Water Tank - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2016, 09:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 170

suggestions for better 50 gal gas hot water tank

Greetings all:

I am a small time landlord and I have had the displeasure of dealing with FVIR gas hot water tanks. The concept is great but the early execution seemed to be poor from a number of manufactures. What are the current better brands (mfg or nameplates) of 50 gal normally vented (no blower) gas hot water tanks? Has the FVIR process gotten more reliable - the mfgs have had a decade to engineer out the failures? I have had dust issues with several of the tanks (too close to the dryer, small house with no place else to put the tank). I have replaced several gas valves on the FVIR tanks in the past few years. Prior to '03 I had never had a failed gas control valve (also had several less houses to maintain).

The driver to all these questions is the 11.5 year old "Whirlpool" hot water tank in my residence is getting flaky after being rock solid for the first 9 years. Gas valve was replaced under warranty a couple of years ago. There have been a couple of flame out incidents the past half year.
aribert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2016, 10:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Re: suggestions for better 50 gal gas hot water tank

Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant (FVIR)

WYUAAEI

Whenever you use an abbreviation, explain it.

I remember some talk about these when they came out, something about the sensor needing to be replaced if it was ever exposed to flammable vapors, or the heater would never ignite again.

I don't know if that is true, but I haven't had any troubles with mine and must have a half dozen installed since then.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2016, 07:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 170

cleveman:

point taken - I did not even think to explain the acronym - I had spent the previous 1.5 hrs on the web looking for an answer as to what brand of hot water tank to buy next with the FVIR acronym in frequent use that I did not think to spell it out. Biggest disappointment in the web search was to find that the EPA mandated higher hot water tank efficiencies as of 2015. After getting burned on being an early adopter of Whirlpool FVIR hot water tanks (I bought two of them before they were even mandated), I do not want to be the product field tester any more.

As to the sensor, the Whirlpools originally had a unique LH thrd thermocouple that in some installations failed frequently (after the class action lawsuit against them, they went with a std thermocouple and a resettable switch - but even that did not work well for one of my houses). After a few years use in a dusty (lint) environment the intake screen will begin to clog up and the flame eventually becomes erratic and trips the sensor. The Rheam hot water tanks (2007 vintage, don't know if this is still the current design) used a TRD (thermal release devise) that failed during an over temp but the replacement part is only available from Rheam and they will only ship one replacement per serial number for the life of the tank.
aribert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,002

What is life without a few challenges?

I had trouble with a power vent. The fan stopped working. It was barely under warranty, but I still had to go to the trouble of replacing the fan and the household had no hot water for a few days as the part was delivered. Probably a more professional plumber would have access to parts more quickly.

I installed three water heaters last year. I get mine at Menards, and they have Richmond, made by Rheem I believe. I'm going with the Encore Powered Damper. I suppose the damper will go out eventually.

A better choice may be the Encore XR90 Induced Draft. It is a 29 gallon with a very fast recovery and 60,000 BTU. A guy at Menards explained to me that it only has the induced draft because it produces so little heat, that the heat won't go up the flue by itself. I thought about this and a proper flue draws, but whatever.

These things are selling for $650, $625 on sale, and one of the gas suppliers I deal with has a $50 rebate.

If the power vent proves problematic, I'll go back to the atmospheric model with a 12 year guarantee.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:06 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,262

By the way, a water heater with the flammable vapor intake block will resume functioning if you unscrew the inner hatch cover and pull it out a little leaving it ajar. Half an inch should do it. Don't pull it out too far otherwise the burner will be pulled out from under the tank.

Better results may be had if you remove the old gasket (needs to be replaced anyway) so the air space around the hatch plate is increased.

Come to think of it, this works fine while waiting for parts.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-19-2016 at 06:14 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement