Studor Vent - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2015, 02:47 PM   #1
HWU

Rewards Points: 62

Studor Vent

I'm thinking about adding a bar sink in the basement. The sink would be 16 feet from a 3 inch I believe vent pipe with a clean out right above floor level. But below grade this area was plumbed for a lavatory down there. I have four bathrooms in the house, I'm not adding a 5th just because people are to lazy to walk up 16 stairs to use that one. Anyway I was talking with a guy who "said" he was a plumber working at a house in the neighborhood. I have heard of a "studor vent" before and have recently looked them up on line.

So I add the sink, then a "studor vent" then a 2 inch PVC drain pipe dropping 1/4" per foot and tie this into the 3 " vent pipe with a 3"x 2" wye 16 feet away.
Does this sound right? This was the "plumbers" suggestion.

Located in Northwest Ohio, Wood County.
HWU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,698

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWU View Post
The sink would be 16 feet from a 3 inch pipe with a clean out right above floor level. ... I have heard of a "studor vent"
The vent is probably less of an issue than using the CO for a drain.
Is the job being inspected?
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,942

Does your 3 inch "vent" get drainage from the top floors? If it does it is a stack. In Ohio you would need a plumbing permit. And the studor AAV must remain accessible to be replaced when it fails. So do not bury it in the wall without a way to get to it. It also should be within a few foot of the p trap of your sink. It also must be 4 inches minimum above the p-trap. P.S. your drain to the sink only needs to be 1.5 inch.

Also use the same type plastic as your stack. Black ABS White PVC If it is pvc use primer and Glue on your joints and support either at 4 foot or closer intervals.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 01-22-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2015, 05:45 AM   #4
HWU

Yes the 3" does get drainage from a shower and sink. I was planning on putting the "studor" inside the base cabinet, easy access to all plumbing fixtures, trap, vent, etc.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:48 AM   #5
HWU

Regarding the sink drain at 1.5 inches, I had extra 2 inch PVC just laying around in the garage collecting dust, so, I decided to use it for something.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
HWU

I was not "planning" on having this inspected. It's the only plumbing job in the basement renovation. All the electrical work we did was done by a friend of mine who is a journeyman electrician and we have followed code on everything.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #7

Then don't get caught! Tearing out dry wall can get expensive. Also your home owners insurance will not cover a electrical fire on un-inspected installs. Most folks don't understand that permits protect you the home owner and your investment. They also make your insurance cost for the home cheaper.

As a plumbing inspector believe me I have seen a lot of bad work by supposed journeymen.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:38 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Then don't get caught! Tearing out dry wall can get expensive. Also your home owners insurance will not cover a electrical fire on un-inspected installs. Most folks don't understand that permits protect you the home owner and your investment. They also make your insurance cost for the home cheaper.
Aah, that old chestnut again. Nobody I've challenged on it has ever been able to provide a proven example of an insurance company denying a fire claim based on uninspected wiring. And please explain how permits lower my insurance premium. I'm sure lots of folks would be interested to know about that.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Aah, that old chestnut again. Nobody I've challenged on it has ever been able to provide a proven example of an insurance company denying a fire claim based on uninspected wiring. And please explain how permits lower my insurance premium. I'm sure lots of folks would be interested to know about that.

They will usually do the claim and then you need to find another under writer. It is covered under the negligence clause.

As for me we just issue a stop work. Then if you want to fight you get to take it up with the local prosecutor.

We also fill out questionnaires every year to the insurance agency regarding code enforcement for or area. I assume that is for them to determine rates.

Also in Ohio when you sell your house you should mention all the little details about what and how work was done with out inspection. A disclosure is required by law.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 01-24-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement