Strange Scaling / Deposit In Toilet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
On the Road Less Traveled

Rewards Points: 127
Question

Strange scaling / deposit in toilet

This toilet is in a home that I lived in beginning in 1999. I replaced the toilet the same year. I lived there until 2012 and then began renting out the house. Last year, the tenant said she was having a difficult time keeping the bowl clean. There was a brownish deposit/scaling in the bottom of the bowl, mainly located around the area where the siphon connects. The stain does not follow the water line; by that I mean it only happens in the bottom. The toilet seemed to flush properly, at least as far as I could tell, but I snaked the line anyway, my thought being that perhaps something was in the line and the bowl wasn't actually draining all the way, or maybe sewage was somehow returning to the bowl...? I cleaned the bowl out and the problem seemed to be solved.

Now it is doing it again. I am at a loss. I am not a plumber. I have no idea what to do next. The house has city water, it's the only toilet in the house, but there is not any noticeable discoloration in the tank, and no issues with the faucets. I would very much appreciate any advice!

The Jeep Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,430

Looks like limescale buildup. Some white vinegar, clr, or lime away should help on a monthly basis. Just a suggestion.

Does it have a jet flush at bottom where the build up is? If so, make sure that little hole is cleaned out.

Others will be along with more advice/suggestions.

Last edited by jmon; 03-07-2015 at 08:20 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Looks like limescale buildup. Some white vinegar, clr, or lime away should help on a monthly basis. Just a suggestion.

Does it have a jet flush at bottom where the build up is? If so, make sure that little hole is cleaned out.

Others will be along with more advice/suggestions.
But why is it starting now? We never saw this in all the years we were there.

I'll check for a jet flush hole, thanks for that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,430

Maybe you have hard water issues now, old galvanized piping, idk. Water softener may help. You can have your water tested for free to rule it out.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,201

I have heard that, over time, simply cleaning a toilet can subtly scratch up the porcelain and that gives the deposits a foothold. Sounds sort of plausible. I dunno. Maybe it's just time to change the toilet again. Or maybe that's a complete waste of time and money. Just throwing it out there. But if you try it and it works, I'd be really interested to find out.
mathmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 610

We just bought an old bungalow (CICA 1957) 2 years ago..on city water and had a similar problem. (existing toilet likely not more than 15 yrs. old) Thought it might be iron from the water supply but, no evidence anywhere else but the toilet. Changed the toilet a year ago and problem disappeared.
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to techpappy For This Useful Post:
mathmonger (03-08-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 10:58 PM   #7
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

Have you been cleaning the toilet with one of the brushes where the bristles are bound together by what appears to be a metal wire twisted? These are notorious for scratching the bottom of the bowl and this allows for fecal matter to bind to these scratches and mold/bacteria grows there. Much like post #5 stated. One trick to keeping your toilet bowl clean is to turn off the water to the toilet, flush out all the water that you can, then use old rags to completely rid the toilet bowl of water. Next clean the toilet bowl with a good cleaner, then wipe as dry as possible. When the toilet bowl is dry use a paste wax, much like what is used on an auto, and wax the toilet bowl.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
PaulieD69 (03-12-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
It does have that hole. I need to get a thin bottle cleaner or the like over there to clean it out properly. It was as uniformly coated with the substance as the rest of the bottom of the bowl. Which leads me to think....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Have you been cleaning the toilet with one of the brushes where the bristles are bound together by what appears to be a metal wire twisted? These are notorious for scratching the bottom of the bowl and this allows for fecal matter to bind to these scratches and mold/bacteria grows there.
.... that scratching is not the case, since we or the tenants would not have been able to get the brush into the jet hole to scratch it. I don't know what type of brush we used while we lived there, but the tenant was using a Clorox ToiletWand, no metal.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Jeep Driver For This Useful Post:
jmon (03-14-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 07:56 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jeep Driver View Post
There was a brownish deposit/scaling in the bottom of the bowl, mainly located around the area where the siphon connects. The stain does not follow the water line; by that I mean it only happens in the bottom.

Now it is doing it again. I am at a loss. I am not a plumber. I have no idea what to do next. The house has city water, it's the only toilet in the house, but there is not any noticeable discoloration in the tank, and no issues with the faucets. I would very much appreciate any advice!

Maybe try installing a bowl cleaning unit like this one:

http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/22934

The disinfectant tablets are held in the purple unit instead of inside of the tank's water so the parts inside of the tank are not affected. This method should correct the problem you are having.

I use swimming pool chlorine tablets in our two units since they are much cheaper than using the manufacturer's refill tablets.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Homerepairguy For This Useful Post:
The Jeep Driver (03-15-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,201

I tried out that kaboom system. It worked great at first, but somehow once I got everything hooked up, the refills just didn't seem to be nearly as effective. Maybe I have to try again with swimming pool tablets.
mathmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:48 PM   #11

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
Maybe try installing a bowl cleaning unit like this one:
I will check that out for my place, but the toilet in question is in a rental. Can't depend on tenants to do even basic maintenance. How long do the tablets last?
Old 03-16-2015, 02:13 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jeep Driver View Post
I will check that out for my place, but the toilet in question is in a rental. Can't depend on tenants to do even basic maintenance. How long do the tablets last?
Not very long, maybe about a month. Depends on how often the toilet is flushed. Probably only worth it for use in one's own home.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement