Strainer Basket In Corian Won't Seal - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2015, 09:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26

Strainer Basket in Corian Won't Seal

I'm having a recurring problem with the installation of a new stainless strainer in a Corian sink. The last three attempts have resulted in the strainer backet's seal to the sink failing.

This newest installation is less than a week old (the last ones lasted at least a month). With a high powered light at the ideal angle, I can start to make out a shiny gleam where the rubber gasket meets the underside of the sink (you can just make it out in the first picture below). There's no seepage or actual leak yet, but I'm guessing I shouldn't really be seeing this, correct? I'm actually asking since I've read conflicting information on whether this gasket just helps to provide even and constant pressure to the top of the strainer basket flange or whether it also directly contributes to the overall seal. In this case, it looks like it's the last piece holding back a leak and the question is whether I can safely leave it like this. I'm getting tired of studying the underside of my kitchen sink.

click to enlarge

I'm using this putty for the seal between the top of the strainer basket flange and the sink. It says it's for use on Corian fright on the front.

click to enlarge

The first few attempts, I used a much smaller bead of putty around the sink opening, say no larger than a pencil eraser (probably smaller actually). This latest attempt I followed some advice I read and used substantially more and applied directly to the strainer basket. During tightening of the nut underneath, all sides of the basket pushed out putty fairly evenly. I stopped tightening when a good amount of resistance was felt. Given this isn't a stainless sink, I've been cautious to avoid over-tightening and potentially cracking the sink, which is the last thing I need right now. Here's a view from the top of the "finished installation":

click to enlarge

Note that the strainer basket is slightly smaller than the sink insert and shifted slightly to the left as seen in the photo. The slightly more exposed right side is the same side that has the initial gasket gleam underneath, probably not coincidentally.

Am I using the wrong putty or technique? Wrong strainer basket for Corian? The last one was a plastic composite of some kind (probably original) that just wound up breaking in half one day. I'd like to stay with something that can be easily removed in the future, so that rules out silicon in my mind, even though I know this is a touchy subject.

Any ideas? This shouldn't be this complicated. Thanks!
_alphaBeta_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2015, 09:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,808

Did you use the paper gasket below the rubber gasket? That asks as a slip ring to make it easier to tighten up the nut.
I roll about a 1/2" round strip long enough to make a complete circle around the strainer.
The sink is stronger then you think, if it leaks tighten it up some more.
jmon (11-30-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2015, 10:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Did you use the paper gasket below the rubber gasket? That asks as a slip ring to make it easier to tighten up the nut.
I roll about a 1/2" round strip long enough to make a complete circle around the strainer.
The sink is stronger then you think, if it leaks tighten it up some more.
The paper gasket is there, yes. I'm not sure I "rolled" the putty, but it was probably about a half inch worth that I put under the flange of the basket before installation. We're getting technical now, but is the preparation of the putty significant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2015, 10:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,234

How are you tightening the locking nut - by hand or with a basket wrench tool or channel locks.

Try using more plumbers putty.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
How are you tightening the locking nut - by hand or with a basket wrench tool or channel locks.
Channel locks. The first two times the entire basket moved a bit during tightening. This latest time there was no movement since I better stabilized the basket with pliers through the cross from the top.

I tightened the locking nut further this evening. It was surprisingly lose considering I remember it being a lot tighter during initial installation. Is it normal to have to re-tighten as things "settle in"? The paper gasket even got a bit wet from a tiny bit of water being squeezed out of the rubber gasket (I guess). I didn't want to continue to try and tighten until this dries out to avoid it sticking to the locking nut and ripping and/or bunching up.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:55 PM   #6
Plumber

Rewards Points: 186

If you can tighten it after the first day - that means too much putty.
Try less putty or even corian approved silicone caulk
Old 12-01-2015, 07:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
If you can tighten it after the first day - that means too much putty. Try less putty ...
Am I wasting my time continuing to tighten after the fact, or could there still be a chance that would take care of the issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
... or even corian approved silicone caulk
Do you have a recommendation for "Corian approved" silicone by chance? Are you speaking of a specific product?

I'm still concerned about being able to remove the strainer basket in the future if it's siliconed in. Then again, my only other option would seem to split the difference between my first attempts and this latest attempt as far as how much putty to use.
The Following User Says Thank You to _alphaBeta_ For This Useful Post:
snowyman800 (02-18-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #8

Any further recommendations on this? I actually had a plumber try putty as well, and the same thing keeps happening within a month. That gleam of moisture in the OP picture does indeed eventually become a leak. I think the putty has to go since the plumber's technique and tightening was the same as mine. Need a different kind of putty or sealant that plays nice and actually seals nicely with Corian.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,220

ditch the putty and use clear silicone...problem solved..
WhatRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement