Storm Catch Basin - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2016, 12:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 438

Storm Catch Basin

Hello,

My home is currently situated below my neighbors and I have a couple storm catch basins to collect water and divert to city storm system (as per code). My engineering specs shows 24" type c storm catch basin that seems to have concrete lining and bottom. When I look at my pit, it looks like heavy plastic with gravel at the bottom (vs concrete) - akin to having a dry well. After heavy rain, these two pits are dry - indicating that it's sending the water out of the pit but all of the remaining water probably seeps into the ground?

I am getting alot of water in my sump pump in the basement and I am wondering if having gravel bottom catch basin is letting all that water from the area soak into the ground leading to higher water table for me? Common sense tells me YES but then again realistically is it possible that basin located almost 40 feet away from my foundation have this effect.

The basins are about even with my foundation level but adjacent lots sit higher than my backyard.

Thank you!

not my town but this appears to be what is stipulated to divert storm water...
http://www.st-charles.il.us/sites/de...sintypec_0.pdf

Last edited by sbkim; 08-16-2016 at 12:56 PM.
sbkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2016, 03:52 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,604

Re: Storm Catch Basin

Do you see a pipe exiting the basin? If you do you could pour some concrete into the bottom.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #3

Hi Joed,. Yes there are exit pipes to take water our of the pit. Sounds like an easy fix if in fact they can just pour concrete at the bottom to prevent water from seeing into the ground. Is there any other reason why this shouldn't be sealed? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #4

Just met with a plumber and he thinks gravel is OK given that the basin is about 30 feet from the house. In fact, he seemed to be worried that pouring concrete may fill the pit up too fast and perhaps overflow.

Am I overthinking stuff in hoping that pouring concrete in the basin would minimize ground water around my house? Presumably rain would need to percolate down to the ground eventually raising ground water...

Thanks
Old 08-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #5

BUMP - still trying to figure out whether it's wroth having the bottom of my storm catch basin lined with concrete vs. gravel. The pits are 20 feet away so not likely the water will reach my basement but who knows how underground water moves especially in clay soil environment. Am I better off pouring concrete to force as much of the water to drain into city storm sewer via PVC pipe?
Old 08-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

I am unclear how far away the basins are from your house. In one post, you said they were 40 feet away, another post said 30 feet, and in the last post 20 feet. If your soil is in fact clay, then you will get minimal infiltration through the bottom of the catch basin, since clay is a low permeability material. In that case, it should make little or not difference whether you have a concrete bottom or a gravel bottom. If you have highly permeable soil such as gravel or sand, then I might be concerned about surface water infiltrating into the ground through the basin, and migrating to your house.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:25 PM   #7

LOL - my apologies for inconsistency. It seems like it's closer to 30 I do have another small basin that's about 7 ft from basement but that has concrete bottom but hoping that pvc pipes are also sealed in case the water leaks out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I am unclear how far away the basins are from your house. In one post, you said they were 40 feet away, another post said 30 feet, and in the last post 20 feet. If your soil is in fact clay, then you will get minimal infiltration through the bottom of the catch basin, since clay is a low permeability material. In that case, it should make little or not difference whether you have a concrete bottom or a gravel bottom. If you have highly permeable soil such as gravel or sand, then I might be concerned about surface water infiltrating into the ground through the basin, and migrating to your house.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #8

I do want to note that my sump pump runs days after the rain which may indicate that it takes awhile for rain water to travel (percolate) down? Could I also perform dye test in the pit that has water to see if I see the dye in the sump pit? Or could the dye be filtered out by the time it gets to the pit, days later?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement