Solution For Tankless Hot Water Heater Too Far Away From Bathroom - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DR P

Old 01-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

solution for tankless hot water heater too far away from bathroom

Hi. I have to replace my electric water heater (50gal, 11 years old and undersized). I would like the tankless system as there would be no worry about running out of hot water. The problem is that where it would need to go (due to codes, venting, etc) would be about 45ish ft from the master bathroom. I've seen recirculation units to minimize the hot water wait, but I've only seen one that seems to work with a tankless unit (other than the ones you install under the sink), and the number of reviews are limited. I was wondering if any of you could tell me of other options that would work with the tankless hot water heater.

thx
Askin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 680

Re: solution for tankless hot water heater too far away from bathroom

How far from the bathroom is the electric tank now? Do you have access to the pipes?
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,764

I've just done the same thing, and am planning on a recirculation plan as well. If you have access to the pipes from the water heater, you can run an additional line to help with the recirculation. If not, Rinnai makes an adapter to go under the furthest sink. You will need a recirculation pump, of course, and I plan on using a wireless system where you just press a button at or near the sink to energize the tankless and bring hot water to the sink location. It shuts off as soon as that is accomplished and you have hot water at the sink almost immediately without water waste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #4
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

https://www.rinnai.us/gas-water-heating/tankless

While Rinnia is fine choice, most installers choose/install units that use a unique concentric venting system, in a single large vent piping configuration that becomes pricey if run for any distances... If you cant get unit closer to center of configuration due to venting as your real problem consider upgrading to the SE and SE+ Series which allow more venting options ... Rinnai does not come standard with circulation system but there are add on options (some very high tech such as motion sensors)...all it takes is money.
if your problem is with an undersized gas pipe at your current location, & or venting & or circulating hot water, you might also consider Navien tankless technology which allows technology to work on a smaller 1/2" gas line (up to certain distances and thereby saving installation costs), use of standard PVC vent piping, and a built in circulation pump... "The NPE-A series models feature a ComfortFlow® internal recirculation pump system (already built in) which saves water and reduces time to get hot water & or you can also install the HotButton recirculation activation option also for NPE-A models."

https://www.navieninc.com/residential/water-heaters

I recommend stainless steel heat exchangers (over copper) and am old school in that water doesn't belong on the outside of structure

Peace
chandler48 likes this.
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement